Featherweight Buying Tip

Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
It's a scandal that she didn't trust you at a CHURCH SALE! Sheesh!

I've heard many stories of people who were given Featherweights for free (me included). May the same happen to you!

Scandal? Really? Good grief.
Sandy
Old 10-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I think that it is sad we can't trust anyone any more. I think she was wrong in selling that before you were able to get back in a reasonable time as you had a deal!

I have heard stories about people making a deal to hold something on CL till they could get there and someone had called and offered them more money for it and they sold it to them. I think that is wrong too.

If I don't have cash at the moment I will offer them a check to hold till I get back with cash, they aren't out anything at all because they will get money if I come back or not and leaving a good check means I will be back with the cash and then I will trade the cash for the check back. Has worked well many times. Yes Cash is the best thing, but there are times I have stopped in at sales on the spur of the moment with no cash so if there is something I want I try and make a deal and then hope they stick with it. Sorry you missed out on your treasure.
A lot of people don't come back - - -

I have done the same thing - offer a check - and then get cash for the item -
Old 10-14-2015, 04:43 PM

The flip side is many times people will say they'll be back then won't show. I almost never have cash on me. So far I haven't had anyone sell something while I was getting money but it is a chance you take. The last time I was at a garage sale there were a couple old tools I wanted. I had to go to the bank to get some cash. The guy thanked me for coming back. He said that he had people who didn't.
Rodney
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM

It seems to me if they would tell you they would hold it for a certain amount of time, then they would sell it, that would be better. I don't agree that they should just go ahead and sell it if you tell them you are going for cash. JMHO
Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Cash wins..every time. I would have sold it too.that is business.
sandy
I agree. I've been on the other end of some deals where someone was "supposed" to pay me and I passed up other sales only to have the first person never show up. Always take cash when you go to sales.

As my husband says "In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash."
Old 10-15-2015, 05:38 AM

Aww man, too bad she didn't let you have a reasonable amount of time. I think she should have told you flat out she wouldn't hold it for you if she had no intention to. Seems a little dishonest to promise to hold it and then immediately sell it out from under you. (Assuming you DID return in a reasonable amount of time)

I hate carrying cash, I rarely have more than $40 in my wallet.

I hope you will find an even BETTER deal somewhere else!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:53 PM

Oh man, that stinks. I don't carry cash ever so I probably would have had the exact same experience.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:44 PM

I have had people tell me they would be back and never show up ., lost a sale. so I tell them to leave something of value $$$$$ down payment, then there will be no question of them coming back. DottieBug
Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 AM

Darn. But years ago, my husband and I held a rummage sale. A woman wanted something....I don't even remember what any more, and she asked us to hold it until she came back with money and then she didn't. So we missed selling to someone else. I can see how the woman grabbed the 'cash in hand.' There are plenty of Featherweights out there. You'll find another good deal.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:28 PM

When it comes to featherweights in mint condition for $120, have your cash at the ready. That is what I've learned.