Singer 27 Worn Decals Sphinx

Old 10-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Singer 27 Worn Decals Sphinx

Don't shoot me but ... I gave my DH permission to turn this old machine into a tractor or recycle it. The machine sews well but I need to thin the herd. I'm keeping the shuttle and bobbin and attachments but have no need of this machine which has seen better days. I've not interest in restoration or acquiring a treadle stand for it (it's been wired for electricity but that is worn as well). No case - I think it was pulled out of a base and a box made for it.
I have tried Kijiji but no response .... so unless someone can give me a good reason .... it's gone.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you have to cut the bait!!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:44 AM

How large is your herd? Motor and knee lever /pedal control have usually cleaned up fine if there's nothing broken. If the machine is complete it shouldn't be too difficult handing it over to someone else. If it needs rewiring it's mainly a question of reaching the person who's looking for an old sewing machine and is up for the job.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 AM

They're not rare, and I think there are far more good vintage sewing machines than people who want them. Can't say as I blame you.

But seriously - a tractor?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Don't destroy it. Give it to someone who want's to take the time and effort to refurb it. That old excuse that "it's not rare, they made millions of them" just doesn't fly any more. Good machines, mechanically or otherwise are becoming less and less as time goes by.

Joe
Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
They're not rare, and I think there are far more good vintage sewing machines than people who want them. Can't say as I blame you.

But seriously - a tractor?
DH is into Allis tractors and wants to try his hand at it.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Don't destroy it. Give it to someone who want's to take the time and effort to refurb it. That old excuse that "it's not rare, they made millions of them" just doesn't fly any more. Good machines, mechanically or otherwise are becoming less and less as time goes by.

Joe
I have to agree with you but ... so far not having luck finding that person. Even the local second hand store doesn't want it. Makes me sad too.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I have to agree with you but ... so far not having luck finding that person. Even the local second hand store doesn't want it. Makes me sad too.
The only other thing I can think of is Freecycle or listing it for free on Craigslist. Someone in need may be thrilled to get it. However, freebies are notorious for generating no-shows, and I speak from experience.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM

i have been wondering how many machines are left too. Some were made in million numbers, but as time has past, I think at least half of them are gone. It's a very long time since they stopped making them, the world has a lot more people than ever. They keep sending hand cranks and treadles to African and South America. They might be in plenty in relation to demand, eventually they will get rarer. Vintage machines have a few tings against them, they are not part of the commercial round-a-bout of production, distribution, advertisement, and sale. They are simple straight stitchers, and not up to date technologically. I hope people in general who venture into sewing see the advantage with these old straight stitcers. It's so sad to see people spend money on those brand new bargain machines, and ignore the vintage models. The look old, and are old, but they are up to any straight stitching job as good as any. You could put it out on ebay or craiglist, or some where local. On the other hand, a single person cannot take on all the old sewing machines out there.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:45 PM

That's a tough one. Please keep trying to find a home for it first. But then the person you give it to might turn it into a tractor too. If you have to junk it, strip the usable parts like the bobbin winder off first. Someone will need one somewhere.
Supply does outmatch demand at the moment but as with all other antiques that will change in time. These old straight stitchers might only do one thing but they do it very well. Better than many new machines are capable of and in thicker material.
Rodney