Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pictures of hand sewed binding >

Pictures of hand sewed binding

Pictures of hand sewed binding

Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 AM

Default Pictures of hand sewed binding

I would like to see pictures of hand sewed binding on the back. I was reading on the other binding question thread,but didn't want to butt in with question. I really enjoy the binding process. And the next time I'm going to try the,Not pressing in half. Sometimes, I think my stitches look like blanket stitches.Pictures are really hard to find. How close to the edge can the stitches be? I have watched a lot of videos.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:25 AM

The stitches don't show.[ATTACH=CONFIG]534644[/ATTACH]You sew from behind the binding through the very edge of the fold
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I put a knot in the end of a single strand of good thread. I put the knot over in the 1/4 inch seam allowance edge on the back. I hold the binding against the back fabric ( making sure it covers the stitching line) with my thumb and take a tiny stitch in the fold of the binding. I run the needle under the backing right next to the machine stitching line and come up about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from where I went into the backing. When the needle comes out of the backing, I catch a tiny stitch in the fold of the binding and continue on. This is called a "Ladder Stitch".
Old 11-01-2015, 05:24 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534645[/ATTACH]

I do press my binding in half - I like the fullness it brings to the edging, take only two or three threads from the top of the fold and use only a single strand of thread to sew the binding. As you can see, my stitches are close together, so I'm not worried about the stitching tearing from the binding with the few threads I do take up. For two-colored bindings like the picture above, the current quilt I'm binding, I use grey thread. It blends in beautifully with the white and the teal. I love doing hand-sewn bindings. Since I machine-sew nearly everything else, hand-sewing the binding is my way of putting a little piece of "me" into the quilt!

Last edited by cindi; 11-01-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:25 AM

I do it just like Tartan, except I take my tiny stitch into the quilt sandwich very close to the seam stitching and where it comes out I go straight into the folded edge of binding for about 1/4". Then back into the quilt sandwich.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I use what is called the LADDER stitch too. Here is an example of my binding cut 1.75" double fold for a mug rug.
Attached Thumbnails binding.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Here is a quick mock up of a loose ladder stitch done on FMQ practice square with thick thread so you can see it. In a real binding I would match the thread to the binding colour. The little tail I would trim off after the knot also but I left it visible for the sample. [ATTACH=CONFIG]534666[/ATTACH]
Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Here is a picture of the same sample but with the sewing thread pulled tight on the ladder stitch.Even with the dark brown thread with blue binding it makes an almost invisible sewn edge.[ATTACH=CONFIG]534667[/ATTACH]
Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Here are a few of mine. The brown fabric is the back of the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534669[/ATTACH]

Gray = back of quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534670[/ATTACH]

Green at top of picture is back of quilt, pink is the front.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534671[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   binding-1.jpg   example-2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Thanks,for the pictures. And giving me permission to just catch a few threads away from edge. I think I'm catching to far in, mostly because afraid it would put to much stress on the binding. I definitely doing the stitch Correct. Tartan what good examples! Everyone is so helpful, why did I wait so long to ask this question.