Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your charm packs? >

What do you do with your charm packs?

What do you do with your charm packs?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 AM

I make quits with them. There are several books on the subject. My favorite quilt is called Morning star and it is made with 5" squares. It is by Pat Speth and she has several books. I use the 5" squares from several packs after I finish whatever it is that I got the pack for. I make 5" squares with my left over fabric from other projects and use them in the "nickel" quilts.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 AM

They are great for table runners and totes and purses Moda has a great website for using precuts MSQC has a tute for making multiple bags from one charm pack Also they would work for a Chinese coin quilt or the center of a 10-minute block (or is that a 5-minute block) on Utube.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 AM

I use some precuts in a lot of my quilts, I like to buy charms and jelly rolls every now and then because they often have some fabrics in them that I wouldn't normally go out and buy if left to my own devices. That gives me a nice challenge. I don't think I've ever used just a single charm pack or single jelly roll or fat quarter collection when making a quilt. Instead I use them along with whatever else in my stash looks like it would work for whatever project I'm working on. My most recent quilt top is a jacob's ladder that's in process and it was made using jelly roll strips from 3 or 4 different jelly rolls for the medium and medium darks along with some leftover Paula Nadlestern patternista fabric for the darks and a no name light fabric that I purchased off ebay years ago to back a quilt.

Don't think that just because the companies and shops advertise the compatibility of all the fabrics within a single collection that that means you can't mix and match from a variety of collections.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:17 AM

I like to make an "I Spy" quilt with them......I also sometimes buy layer cakes in order to get more charms.....
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Leesewzany View Post
RedGarnet, that is exactly the kind of idea I was looking for! Thank you for taking the time to dig up the picture and share. Thank you to everyone of course, and to the quilter who made the above quilt. Last night I bought six yards of Kona Steel on Amazon, will go beautifully with my most coveted Alison Glass charm pack, kismet!
I am so glad I dug up the picture for you. Now if someone would please let us know who posted this so we can thank her, I would feel better about it.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think it is quite all right to just enjoy them just because you like them.

what do people "do" with acollection of toy cars or a collection of empty wooden spools?
I agree with you, Bearisgray! No one asks a stamp collector to put his stamps on a letter.

Leslie
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
I agree with you, Bearisgray! No one asks a stamp collector to put his stamps on a letter.

Leslie

lol good one!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:07 PM

I have 2 charm sq packs of prints and 2 of solids and plan to do a D9P with them and setting on point. Not sure when this is going to get done--or started!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:28 AM

I put several coordinating pack together and made a tumbler quilt.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:30 AM

I use charm packs for my hand applique. Applique uses smaller pieces a lot.