Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Here and Needing help with a few old machines >

New Here and Needing help with a few old machines

New Here and Needing help with a few old machines

Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 AM

Default New Here and Needing help with a few old machines

Hello all! I have been collecting machines for a while, but just joined QB. I see there is loads of knowledge about these lovely old machines! This is an amazing resource!

I recently added a poor frozen and rusted curved-needle Florence machine to my collection. I have worked on it some and now have it cleaner and moving smoothly I am guessing the age to be around 1868 as the cloth plate was missing (with the serial number) in addition to the shuttle and bobbin. It had a broken curved needle that I removed. I borrowed a shuttle, bobbin, and needle from another Florence that I have but was hoping someone here might have a lead on any extra parts. I do have a spare shuttle for a Florence, but it is missing the inner flap and spring, so it does not function.

Since this one does not have a treadle, I have decided to mount it on a display board and try to fix a piece of plexiglass for the cloth plate so that the mechanics can be seen as it sews. I have it sewing nicely by hand, but would love to have the correct parts for it.

Thanks so much!

Suzanne in Virginia
(if someone could tell me how to post photos, I would be glad to share)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Welcome Suzanne! Sounds like you'll fit right in.
Steve is our resident expert for machines of that vintage. He might be able to help.
Pictures can be uploaded directly from your computer using the square icon that's third from the right when you're typing or responding to a post. Just click it and it will give you prompts to follow.
Rodney
Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM

Hi Rodney, Thank you for the welcome! I really love sewing with these great old machines and sometimes (most of the time) it is challenging to find missing or damaged parts, or info on them.
Hopefully this works properly with photo. It sews along quite nicely with its lovely cardboard cloth plate.

Suzanne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534904[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_8994.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

What an interesting machine. Welcome to the board.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Welcome from Southern California!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Banned

Welcome! Lovely Howe A (2nd style) you have in your Avatar pic!

Your Florence is a left to right, mine is a right to left! (you can see the replacement slide I made for mine)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534907[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534906[/ATTACH]

(no spare parts, sorry), if there is anything I can help with please let me know.

You might consider making it into a handcrank machine.
Here is a Wheeler & Wilson Curved needle that is in a handcrank layout.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534908[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140804_170843.jpg   20140802_153718.jpg   handcrank-wheeler-wilson-4-sewing-machine.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 04:41 PM

These very old machines are beautiful!!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:28 PM

SewMachines, welcome to the QB, I love your machine and think the cardboard looks rather nice! You picked up putting pictures on here quickly too.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:26 AM

Welcome from SW Ohio! Awesome machine!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:56 AM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful welcome!

Steve H., your Florence is very beautiful! I am amazed that almost each year they made tiny design changes to the machine, but yet they all look similar at first glance. I am considering compiling a list of the variations I can find by year (I am geeky that way). I presume yours sews right to left and has reverse as well.
Thank you for the photo of the W&W hand crank! I am intrigued by the set up and thinking how I can make a box with a wheel and short belt for the Florence in a similar fashion. Please let me know if you happen to hear of anyone with a Florence shuttle (in any condition-I'll try to make it work) as I know very few people that have these machines and don't know anyone else to ask.

Sew very excited!!
Suzanne