Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate" >

Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate"

Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate"

Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Oh I am glad you finally like it, eddie. The poor little one is very pretty. I think if a quilt gives us trouble, it becomes a thorn for a while.

I don't know if you remember the quail placemats I made a couple weeks ago. I hated them for a while. But, when I took them out to use, I liked them. Go figure ... I think it is just we need a little time after the trouble to like them again.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I like the log cabin quilt that Pzazz made, also - - I wish when I made log cabin quilts I could figure out how to use the lights the way you have, girl.
I had a huge number of fabrics to choose from....as I worked on each colour pallette, I laid them all out in gradations from dark to light. From there, I tried to not have any two blocks be the same....sames fabrics used over and over, but not in the same place per block, or in the same combinations of fabrics per block. Since log cabin can be put together in so many different patterns, I had to decide what I wanted before I could figure out how many blocks of each colour. Lots of fun...thank goodness my hubby always has lots of graph paper around!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Eddie....I am impressed with any man that takes on quilting as there seems to be somewhat of a social stigma that quilting is only for women. I love seeing your quilts...you really do wonderful work.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I love it - those are my favourite kind of fabrics. And the border and backing fabric is beautiful. :D
Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 AM

I am currently working on something that I am finding very hard to get out and get done. You inspired me to keep going, thanks. I like your quilt! good job with something you think is ugly. Nicely done.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Ummmm....Eddie....I'm not seeing "ugly" ANY where on this one!! I think it's maaahhhvalous daaaahhhling! I agree with the statement earlier made...I don't think you could make an ugly quilt if you tried.

And does that quilted cape have an appliqued "SQG" on the back...you know for Super Quiltin' Guy?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM

I just went back and looked at your beginning picture again, and I just can't figure out what there was that made this ugly to you.
SO, I am looking at the pattern, and I am seeing a nine patch, some four patches, and then white bar ... and, I am thinking:
Was it the construction instructions that got you all flustered?
I had a chance once to help someone make a quilt with a pattern from 1976 ... I didn't work with it about fifteen minutes and thought:
Lord! If this had been my first introduction to quilting, I would NEVER have bothered!
Today, I am still appalled by some of the "old" instructions people use to confound the beginner ... I get the template and all of the hardest way .. but, whatever did anyone do to deserve being punished like that? <g>
Anyway, if you made this quilt again, Eddy, would you construct it the same way that the instructions led you to in the first place?
Could the construction have created your mindset?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

HI Eddie, I happen to love the quilt..however I am more concerned that this became your first UFO?? :shock: Does that mean it is your only one? and if so can you a give tutorial on how to manage that? :lol:
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM

I think it is a pretty quilt, and I am happy your daughter likes it! Merry Christmas!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM

[quote=Eddie]I actually started this quilt several months ago, and then put it away after I started sewing the finished blocks together. Like all my well laid plans, mine can go astray at times. :) The fabric in this is from the "Louisa" collection by Moda, and was made from a jelly roll. The overall size is 49" x 68".

As I worked on the quilt, I became sick of the fabric. I just did not like it. And then when I started putting the 8" finished blocks together, I was having a heck of a time getting the points to line up -- I was having to really push, pull, tug, jerk, curse, etc. :shock: :( So I threw it all in a box and it became my first UFO.

But earlier this week I decided that I had better get busy on some Christmas presents since I have several relatives who are thinking that quilts are going to be under their trees this year. So out came "that ugly quilt that I hate" from the box, and I decided to finish it up. As I was working on it, my oldest daughter came into the room and was looking at it and said "That's pretty, I like it." To which I said something like "I hate this ugly quilt," and thus it's name was born. Now that's it's finished, though, I don't dislike it quite as much. Just glad to be done with it! :D

Well, I have to say, I agree with your daughter. I think it is very pretty and your work is wonderful. Whoever receives it is very lucky and will treasure it.

Margie