Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the largest harp/throat space out there? >

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

It is sad that your entire LA quilting "mojo" is tainted by one machine. The problems you describe having that killed your love of quilting is most definitely NOT the norm for all LA brands. You have a sizable amount invested in your LA if it is computerized. Rather than investing in yet another machine that may yet prove to be another disappointment to you because it doesn't do everything you want it to or has tension issues or whatever you may wish to give your LA one more chance. Find a thread and batting combo that does not cause as much tension issues as you are currently having (which BTW is NOT normal for any LA unless it is defective). You may be using the LA manufacturer's recommended thread but there may be threads that play nicer.

It is too bad you didn't find a good LA machine to begin with so your feeling of LAing wouldn't be so tainted. I love my LA and I would never quilt any other way. I do not have to recheck tension after a few inches of quilting. Unless I have 100% cotton that is very linty in the bobbin. That does give me fits due to a blob of lint getting lodged in my bobbin tension spring and causing problems almost every time I run a linty cotton both top and bottom. Not all cottons are this bad but many are. I do check with every bobbin change and every top thread change. Perhaps if you switched to 100% poly thread in both top and bobbin you wouldn't be having so many issues with tension. Prewound magnaglide bobbins are also a way to avoid tension issues. Or as Dunster mentioned you may just have a lemon machine but after 3 years there isn't much the manufacturer will do about it. BTW I also quilt on an Innova.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

You should look into an industrial machine, like a Consew or industrial Juki. They have models with harps at least 16". You need to do some homework, however. They are often geared to heavy duty sewing like multiple layers of canvas etc. The feed dogs could be too aggressive and can tear quilting cottons. Many have built in walking feet, but may have the same issue. Also, make sure you understand what the pricing is. Many models don't have integrated motors. The motors are mounted on the underside of the table (which you will also need). So you may have 3 separate costs. They may be geared to sew very very fast. this can possibly be changed with a different drive gear or a rheostat.
I know you are not looking for long arm advice, but it does sound like you have a problem machine. Unless I change something (thread weight or batt type), I don't have to play with the tension or even monitor it as closely as you state.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-30-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:19 PM

Thank you ladies. I have wondered many times if I got a lemon, but my dealer keeps acting like its my issue. Not surprising I suppose. I've only used King Tut thread since that's what my dealer recommends. If I'm about to get rid of it anyway, maybe I should try a different thread. Is there a particular brand that's best?

i know I'm a mess about all this. It was so much money and I feel like I just wasted it all. I just want the reminder to be gone from my home.

I really do do appreciate everyone that has offered me input.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:28 PM

I started out with a small machine & we bought a Brother, Laura Ashley, Innov-is, NX-2000 a few years ago & I love it! It has an 11-1/2" harp area, roughly 5-1/2" high. I FMQ all my own quilts & this is way easier than my first machine!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:45 PM

The Crafty Gemini on Youtube shows several Juki machines of the type you are looking for I think. I have been looking for a larger throat space machine too.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
... I've only used King Tut thread since that's what my dealer recommends. If I'm about to get rid of it anyway, maybe I should try a different thread. Is there a particular brand that's best?...
King Tut is a lovely thread and comes in luscious colors. It is cotton, however, and it will produce lint. The lint can build up in the tension discs causing the tension to go flooey (technical term). The same thing can happen in the bobbin. Fluff builds up in the tension spring. In either case you could be sewing along just fine with great tension, and due to lint build up, your tension goes south. Before throwing in the towel, I would try a poly. Superior bottom line is a good choice, it is thinner than King Tut. FilTec Glide is another choice. It's poly and the same weight as King Tut.
Here is a great video on how to set your tension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
King Tut is a lovely thread and comes in luscious colors. It is cotton, however, and it will produce lint. The lint can build up in the tension discs causing the tension to go flooey (technical term). The same thing can happen in the bobbin. Fluff builds up in the tension spring. In either case you could be sewing along just fine with great tension, and due to lint build up, your tension goes south. Before throwing in the towel, I would try a poly. Superior bottom line is a good choice, it is thinner than King Tut. FilTec Glide is another choice. It's poly and the same weight as King Tut.
Here is a great video on how to set your tension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Nilla, know you've been given lots of advice, pros & cons, but since I have both a Gammill LA and a Consew commercial machine (along with my Elna Quilt Pro Queen) I'm going to weigh in.

While I don't have a computerized robot on my Gammill, I do not have to constantly mess with tension My top tension is set & while I always check that my thread is seated along the thread line when I change bobbins, it's my bobbin tension that gets checked each bobbin. I use a Towa gauge with each bobbin change & it's really saved lots of headaches. I also find that the cotton threads like King Tut are more linty and So-Fine is my favorite. If I use Glide(FilTec) or Magnifico (Superior) or similar I use a cone net (or even a stocking toe with the toe opened up) as the thread comes off the cone more evenly.

The long arm guild I belong to had a panel of speakers on robotic guided LA and the consensus was with most, switching between computer & FMQ was a hassle due to tension, etc. That may be part of your tension problems?

Lastly, my Consew is heavy-duty! I can sew through leather, several layers of denim, etc. As was pointed out--the machine head is separate from the motor and the table--it has a "clutch" that if not engaged makes the foot almost impossible to lift. I'm not sure of the harp area, but probably no more than 12-14". This Consew is about 40 yrs old and still cost $500+, and judging by the manual I bought later--hasn't been changed much in the last 40 yrs!

I do hope you are able to come to a good solution for you--while I did quilt up to twin size on my Elna, I hated to sandwich & baste, & the quilting process killed my neck & shoulders. So for me, the LA, which has taken me about 3 yrs to get figured out, has been my best bet. Hope you find a good solution too.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:56 PM

One thing I forgot to mention--at the LQS in Stover MO they use Consew and other commercial machines to quilt a quilt that is rolled in a 2x4 "box" frame that is suspended from the ceiling on rollers. The quilter sits sideways to the machine head & moves the frame in the design desired, going from E2E. They do not have the a foot on
Old 12-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

King Tut is lovely thread but I have had problems with lint buildup with it. I still use it but I am prepared to check the tension more often. If doing E2E I check every row of quilting. If doing custom I will check half way between every advance. If you want to give your LA one more chance I would recommend Filtec Glide and try a jar of the magnaglide delights prewounds to go with. If you have a backlash check spring in your bobbin case you will have to remove it prior to using the magnaglides. Google them for pictures of what they look like.

Filtec (www.bobbincentral.com) has gone wholesale only so to try it out you will have to find a retail outlet. Most likely you will have to order it on line.

Here are a few sources I just found by googling.
https://www.longarmquiltingsupplies....ilting-thread/
http://www.quiltscomplete.com/Depart...ead/Glide.aspx
Old 12-01-2015, 06:03 AM

From what I'm reading, or reading into what you've written, it does not appear that you actually enjoy the quilting part of making a quilt. If you sell your long arm machine, you will have plenty of money to hire someone to do the quilting for you. That's just my opinion...