Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore Trispan 88 Automatic 158.881 >

Kenmore Trispan 88 Automatic 158.881

Kenmore Trispan 88 Automatic 158.881

Old 12-15-2015, 05:33 PM

Upon reading your post I started trying the cams with mine. I too thought the ZZ stitch was broken but found if I push the lever all the way over the little left side button will click into place and hold. Though it is either all (5) or nothing (0) for that side. The right side is adjustable and just requires the stitch width knob to be tightened once the lever is set. Maybe selecting 5 with the left side will let you lock it in place as well?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:56 PM

Nope.

Mine is definitely broken.

You can see the jagged edge where it's broken in half.

Thanks though.

At least I have a work around.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 PM

Notwendy-how do you like hours? Have you had it long?

I'm getting rather fond of mine. I've had it about six months or so.

Works good for FMQ. This is the first machine I've ever used in a cabinet. Much less shoulder/neck pain and fatigue.

I'm happy with it.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 AM

You certainly are clever. You go girl.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Hi DresiArnaz,
I’ve enjoyed using the Trispan 88. The tension knob is a bitfinicky on mine but I don’t want to take it apart. It usually doesn’t needadjusting but I have to keep it very low and compensate with the bobbin tensionif necessary.

It is one of three Kenmore machines I have in cabinets. I havea 158.850 with the 7 double-sided cam discs. It too is a tank and sews throughanything with no trouble. I just put a walking foot on it yesterday and wasn’tpleased with the results. D’oh! Maybe the stitch length should be higher than aone. Ha! Now I have very tiny stitchesto remove and re-do.

I have tried some very basic FMQ on both and find I don’teven need to have an even feed foot or drop the feed dogs to get even stitcheswith side to side movements as it goes under the needle to make wavy lines.

I also have a lavender 158.540 with the original 14double-sided cams (the E cams that also fit the 158.85 so 1-7 are duplicated)that I haven’t used much. When I do, I have to swap out the foot control withthe 158.85 because the triple plug for the knee control needs re-soldering. Itis in great condition and of the same era as the other two so I don’t expectany surprises. It is the only one that has the extra gear-driven buttonhole andmonogram feature. Fun!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM

I have another Kenmore in a cabinet. It's pink and cream💜!

Haven't had time to mess with it and I think it's high shank so will have to do some shopping when the time comes.

I have a Touch and Sew that needs new gears. It's out in the garage waiting for better weather and a burst of courage on my part.

Back to the Tri Span. I'm very happy with it but I think the motor might need some attention. It's making a weird noise and it's a little sluggish in starting up. When I'm done with my current quilt, maybe I'll take the plunge and clean it up.

I'm kind of afraid to dig in there too far. I'm waiting to hear from someone who's done it-hopefully there is someone on the yahoo Kenmore forum who can throw a few crumbs of knowledge my way.

Also have a green and cream New Home, a Singer Sphinx knockoff, a Singer 9022, a White from the 80's and a Brother 1034D serger.

Lol!

Not enough hours in the day.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Other than the three Kenmore machines I mentioned, I also have a 70's era Montgomery Ward (my only free arm)& a Swing 'n Sew III that sews nicely but is missing two of the panels that close into a case. It is bright yellow and it is my only easily portable machine. I also have a post WWII Japanese made zz that is Cobalt blue and badged as an American Beauty (even has the rose on the deck) that needs the cord replaced. It is in a carrying case but at approx. 45lbs, I don't really consider it very portable. : )
Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 PM

Were you able to solve your Trispan problem? I have photos of mine that had the same problem.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 PM

I never found any parts.

If I need ZZ, I just use the clothespin or something.

I was never able to take the motor apart and clean it but I did find a loose screw that mounted it to the head. I tightened it, adjusted the belt and it seems to be okay now that I've cleaned and oiled it several times. Sometimes all it takes is a thorough cleaning and oiling.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:48 AM

I have this, no cams, lot's of feet and attachments I don't understand.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-14-2020 at 04:40 AM.