Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Replacing parts of a block...any tips? >
  • Replacing parts of a block...any tips?

• Replacing parts of a block...any tips?

Old 12-21-2015, 12:06 AM

Default Replacing parts of a block...any tips?

Ugggghhhhhh, whilst undoing some of my seams yet again, sigh, I have noticed that I have inadvertently used 2 very different shades of white in my chevron quilt and it looks blinking awful. I have no choice but to rip out my rows and unpick about 25% of them and replace them. My question is...can I carefully undo the white sections of my chevron and replace with the "right" white, or do I have to completely disassemble the chevrons and re-make with the "right" white, or am I better off just chucking the "wrong" ones and start afresh? It seems a pity to discard the colour pieces in the chevrons let alone have to factor the purchasing of more fabric. What do you think I should do? Apart from sob quietly into my red wine and go and watch more cricket on the tellie? I really can't leave them as is.....the "wrong" white chevrons stand out like a boil and make the other chevrons white colour look dirty.
    Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 AM
    JDP

"I can't help other than to "cry" with you and "have a glass of red too"! I am a total "newbie". Have a small stash (via online shopping) but yet to start a quilting project. I am sure one or more of the wonderful and generous (with their expertise and know how) members of this forum will be able to help you. I look forward to any responses you receive as this is how I "learn".
    Cheers Jan
    PS. I'm a "Cab/Sav girl"

PPS. If you decide to start again how about using the "mistakes" on the back.

Last edited by JDP; 12-21-2015 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Needed to add a comment.
    Old 12-21-2015, 01:50 AM

If you have enough fabric, I would make more and use the wrong ones in another project, less stressful and it takes 3 times as long to unpick as it does to sew a block.
    Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by JDP
    "PS. I'm a "Cab/Sav girl"

PPS. If you decide to start again how about using the "mistakes" on the back.
    Yep, Cab/Sav it is for me too!!!!! Oooo Jan you may have just become my new best friend....I could indeed use the "bad" chevrons in my backing as a bit of a feature and then use the surplus backing to make my new chevrons!! Oh happy happy dancing happening here across the sea!!

You're right notmorecraft; I had a bit of a fiddle trying to partly undo one of the chevrons and came to the same conclusion!

Thankyou both for the quick replies..I'm off to the sewing room!
    Old 12-21-2015, 05:32 AM
    Power Poster

Are the chevrons done with triangles or rectangles? If it is rectangle chevrons then taking it apart would be the way to go. If it is triangles, the bias edges are going to stretch. I would live with the different whites and quilt it up maybe using cream thread to tie it all together.
    Old 12-21-2015, 05:49 AM
    Power Poster

Bummer. You have to be so careful with taking them apart. If it is bias, I wouldn't do it either as Tartan mentioned.
    Old 12-21-2015, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

If you have more fabric - then I would also redo the entire blocks.

But if you need to conserve fabric, any of the ways you mentioned would work. Not saying that any of them would be "easy" - just doable.

You have a delightful way of writing - - - I am smiling - even knowing that what you are facing is a challenge to deal with.
    Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Love the idea of placing the different whites on the back, they will all play happily there.
    Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

What is Cab/Sav?
    Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    What is Cab/Sav?
    Cabernet Sauvignon wine. It is a red and if you like reds cab/sav is wonderful.

Regarding the OP with the different shades of white, it could be a dye lot variation and new white may be just as obvious. The good news is it may not be so obvious after quilting.