Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas for this sandwich! >

Looking for ideas for this sandwich!

Looking for ideas for this sandwich!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:43 PM

Default Looking for ideas for this sandwich!

I finished sandwiching this table topper but am lacking ideas of how to quilt it! I was thinking of outlining the center reindeer and then doing small curlier or swirls on the reindeer body. Other than that..............nothing! Any ideas would be most appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails img_0577b.jpg  
Old 12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever crosshatched a quilt before?? I use a Hera marker (found at JAF) to mark out the lines or you can use painter's tape.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

i'm a hand quilter. i'd outline the deer, and maybe quilt swirls in the background or cross hatch. Maybe outline the border reindeer. and quilt a row of swirls in the white border.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

i agree i would outline the deer very pretty!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:53 PM

I recently did this panel in the red version and without the border. Also, used the light kit for it. Really cute. It is now hanging over our fireplace. I started by outlining the reindeer and antlers using clear thread on the top and finished with an all over meander using red thread. I tried outlining some of the larger stars but it didn't show up enough to make a difference, in my opinion, so much so, that I didn't bother to remove the stitches when I changed my mind. I looked at LeahDay.com for ideas as she has a video of quilting an Olaff panel that looks nice. She was like me when doing the quilting, it needed to be done quickly. You might look at her website for that idea. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:13 PM

No suggestions on quilting but I love it!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:23 PM

its a beautiful quilt and I am sure however you quilt it will be wonderful. I like ManiacQuilter2's suggestion of crosshatching.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM

You could use white, Coats Glow in dark, or invisible thread, and straight stitch the six points of the flakes around the border and some small swirls like flurries (not compact) around flakes and deer in the border. Do the same for medium flakes and smaller stars on top and bottom with some swirls around deer. Outline inside and out of white border and deer(maybe do a couple wavy lines, or a quick something, inside (swirl, snowflake, pebbles) and you are done. If you get too creative inside the deer area, I think you might loose the snowflake effect. It is so cute the way it is. The whole quilt seems to twinkle!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=suern3;7411149]I recently did this panel in the red version and without the border. I looked at LeahDay.com for ideas as she has a video of quilting an Olaff panel that looks nice. She was like me when doing the quilting, it needed to be done quickly. You might look at her website for that idea.

Thanks so much! Everyone has such great ideas and have made me look at the panel differently! I found the Olaf panel that Leah Day did - thanks so much for that great link! That will take me through the quilting! Like you, I don't want to spend the rest of my life on this quilt but it's a great chance to try some new things with Free Motion, too.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:30 PM

They make glow in the dark thread?

Awesome!