please help me w/my 15-91

Old 12-22-2015, 04:35 PM

Default please help me w/my 15-91

I am so sad and frustrated right now I could cry. I have a 15-91 that runs great, but it often skips stitches. Today I was trying to quilt w/it and it would not pick up the bobbin thread at all, or would skip every couple of inches. What is causing that?

I am also still having trouble w/the needle not disengaging when I wind a bobbin even though I have cleaned it numerous times.

Any ideas, suggestions or help???
Old 12-22-2015, 06:41 PM

Sounds like perhaps the needle is in correctly or it's threaded wrong. I'm sure bettervexperts will be along shortly with other possible causes as well.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:52 PM

i had the same problem. try changing the needle. Also maybe the needle isn't seated correctly it may be too far up or too low on the needle bar. Usually changing the needle fixes it 90% of the time.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 PM

I was using a 12, switched to a 16 (since I was quilting through 3 layers) and it actually did worse, would not pick up the bobbin thread at all!!! Put the 12 back in and it only skips every few inches. Have threaded and rethreaded, even checked the manual, top thread and bobbin both correct. I would guess the needle is seated correctly, not sure how to check that.

I am stumped and frustrated but thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:38 PM

I think I may have discovered my problem...needle in wrong. I have it flat side to the right and it should be to the left! DUH!!! I will change it and try again tomorrow, then report back. I hope it will be all good news!!!

Thanks, I am feeling a bit more encouraged now, Christmas is too close for this kind of trouble .
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 AM

Sounds like you have discovered your problem. Hope that is the fix. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 AM

I switched the needle this morning and only had time to sew one line of quilting but it did fine, so I am feeling pretty good about it right now. I am sooo glad I figured out what I had done as I was ready to send this girl to the dump!

Thanks again everyone!

BTW, any more tips on how to get the needle bar to stop moving when winding a bobbin? I have cleaned it many times but it still does not always disengage.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 AM

I actually think the needle goes in flat side to the right, and threads from left to right? Double check with manual. For the stop motion screw, there is a tiny oil point on top (probably furthest right excluding the tensioner); when you oil you have to tilt the machine to the right, maybe placing a thick book or piece of wood under the left side of the base and oil repeatedly while you run the machine. Poke a tooth pick down the hole to check if it's blocked. This oil point is often stubborn because the oil tends to go down the shaft and not horizontally along the axle that holds the hand wheel and stop motion screw. Alternatively you can take of the stop motion screw and inspect parts too, and it's easier to oil all parts involved all and clean if needed. Parts have to be assebled correctly for it to work, but it's usually all about tentative oiling and running the machine in. If you hold the lift up lever with the tip of your finger, does the needle stop moving?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:40 PM

Good thing it wasn't a Featherweight, which wouldn't have sewn at all. Sometimes the needles turn when you put them in. Had that happen with my Janome and of course the needle threader wouldn't work either. A new needle seems to help your outlook too.
Donn
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 AM

Mickey2 -- it was the manual that says flat side left and threaded right to left. Makes it kinda confusing! Thank you for the oiling tip I will try that see what happens. And, yes if I hold the lift up lever it will stop moving. We ahve cleaned it many times (clutch) and even w/a light sand paper but it still does not always release. .

I am not sure how long I have been putting the needle in wrong, but now that it is in correctly she is sewing like a charm! Funny thing is when I had the 12 in wrong it only skipped every so often, but the 16 did not pick up the bobbin at all.

i just feel like I got Christmas present having this thing work so well now. May you all have a great Christmas too.