Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix >

AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix

AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix

Old 12-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

DH put heavy duty new bearings in my Go manual crank. Very easy to do. It turns like butter with six layers of fabric. My Go is one of the first ones made and the bearings are HK2010 Needle Roller Bearing. There are four bearings, one on each end of the two rollers.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:36 PM

DH bought me the Go BIG for Christmas last year. You can still buy through dealers in Canada ... go on the AccuQuilt website and search 'em out ... we got a great deal on mine even with the crappy dollar ... but be warned the dies add up ...
Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
DH put heavy duty new bearings in my Go manual crank. Very easy to do. It turns like butter with six layers of fabric. My Go is one of the first ones made and the bearings are HK2010 Needle Roller Bearing. There are four bearings, one on each end of the two rollers.
I don't have a DH to do that...and I wouldn't know how or where to get the bearings
Old 12-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Default AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix

I sold the Go and purchased Sizzix Big Shot Pro.

It seems much better quality....Always felt the Go was going to break when I
was cranking the handle to cut fabric.

The Sizzix is much sturdier...and I can purchase other companies dies if I can't
get what I want from Sizzix...Sizzix has many dies and are always adding more.

Peg
Old 12-26-2015, 10:27 PM

I have the smaller sizzix and it is very sturdy, one of the reason I chose it over accuquilt. If I ever have the bunds I will invest in a pro but don't use it enough to buy yet
Old 12-27-2015, 05:34 AM

I have the Fiskars Fuse machine - it can handle both Sizzix and Accuquilt dies, you just have to shim them properly. It took me a bit of experimenting to figure out the perfect shim sizes, but now that I have it all worked out it's a pretty handy machine. It's a very heavy and sturdy machine and I think it cost less than either the Big Shot or Go!. It can't handle the new Go Big dies though - not wide enough. It's the same width as Big Shot or the standard Go! size machine. (Bigger than Go Baby)

I only use it for curved or rag pieces, though. I bought it intending to use it to dice up my scraps into squares and rectangles, but have discovered that for straight cuts, I'm faster and create a lot less waste by using my June Tailor strip-cut ruler and rotary blade. So far I haven't gotten the arthritis curse, but judging from all the women in my family it's right around the corner for me. I anticipate I will use the die cutter a lot more when my hands start to go.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I have a go and I love it. I have about 18 dies and more to get. I love the perfect cut everytime. I don't know much about the Sizzix.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have the Fiskars Fuse machine - it can handle both Sizzix and Accuquilt dies, you just have to shim them properly. It took me a bit of experimenting to figure out the perfect shim sizes, but now that I have it all worked out it's a pretty handy machine. It's a very heavy and sturdy machine and I think it cost less than either the Big Shot or Go!. It can't handle the new Go Big dies though - not wide enough. It's the same width as Big Shot or the standard Go! size machine. (Bigger than Go Baby)

I only use it for curved or rag pieces, though. I bought it intending to use it to dice up my scraps into squares and rectangles, but have discovered that for straight cuts, I'm faster and create a lot less waste by using my June Tailor strip-cut ruler and rotary blade. So far I haven't gotten the arthritis curse, but judging from all the women in my family it's right around the corner for me. I anticipate I will use the die cutter a lot more when my hands start to go.
Sewnoma,

I have just become familiar with the June Tailor strip-cut ruler. I am curious about whether they wear out? The plastic appears to be less rigid than a normal rotary cutter ruler and I wonder about slicing through it with a rotary cutter.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 AM

I have the sissix and use some go dies. However you can not use sissix dies in a go. Maybe that can help you on your decision.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by lyndaj View Post
Sewnoma,

I have just become familiar with the June Tailor strip-cut ruler. I am curious about whether they wear out? The plastic appears to be less rigid than a normal rotary cutter ruler and I wonder about slicing through it with a rotary cutter.
I have had mine for several years and it shows no sings of wearing out. I don't think that you would be able to slice it with a rotary cutter. Get the one that is 18" if you can.