Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

We are all in awe with the GFG, QMomma....and what a way to kick off August.

Now we can't rest on our laurels...let's keep sewing...just keep sewing...

I have about 1/4 of the bonding left on my big mini quilt...should have it done before too long, but I will have family for the next 2 weeks...we'll see.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Finished the cow quilt tonight except for trimming threads...so count it done...Will try to take a picture before it heads to NC later next week...
Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 AM

Default Garden Constellation

I'm a bad picture taker as I've probably said before. But here is a picture of the Garden Constellation. This is a practice piece to work on fabric selection and matching points. It has already been counted.
Attached Thumbnails garden-constellation.jpg  
Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
We are all in awe with the GFG, QMomma....
Yes, indeed!

MadQuilter, that was a great idea to vary the quilting on the strip quilt. So much to look at!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 AM

QM-----Your quilt is spectacular. A super finish.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM

Oh, QM, this is beyond wonderful. Congratulations and a big TOOT, TOOT for you!
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
And here it is after 19 years or so.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555103[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555104[/ATTACH]
Can you believe I have tears in my eyes?
I have mixed emotions about it being finished. It is like seeing a child graduate high school, or leave home for kindergarten, nah, not the second that was to quick, the first. LOL It is all hand pieced and hand quilted. I noticed after it being done that one side the top was being filled by the great grandmother and I did not catch it to round out the sides. Oh well, not doing anything about it now. It is her work. In my inexperience years ago, i did not pay attention. Now I would have either filled in both the sides so the scallops were not so great or I would have taken it out to make them the same. I do so love it and it will be a cherished memory and keepsake. When I pass on this life, I know which child will receive this beauty. She is the sentimental one and loves vintage stuff. Thank you for the encouragement. A finish for August, now to try for another six this month.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:02 AM

Yes, QM, it did! There's still one more day to report a July finish but as it stands right now, we have 61 for the month of July with a whopping 57 for the mini-challenge. Well, who says people don't quilt in the summer???

I'll post the final tallies again with names in a couple of days just in case someone still has a finish to post.

Swappers, what a great month. You really pushed this train along big time this month!!!!

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Wow Janice, does that put us over the 50 mark for July then?
e
Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 AM

Mad quilter- I love the way you quilted each row differently. Fun finish!

QM- What a beautiful quilt, the quilting makes all the flowers pop. 19 years of personal history makes it even more special.

Rob
Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 AM

I agree with Rob, QM, those flowers just pop out of your lovely quilt. Everyone has done such amazing jobs, I am blown away by it all.
Sad to say I am not one of you with a July finish after all. I never dreamed how heavy putting 2 sheets as liners in a quilt would make it and handling it for the quilting is being very difficult for me. My back, neck and shoulders are in a mess, so I am only getting a little done at a time. By this time, I am almost done with the quilting; I just have the black areas to go.

It's times like this I really understand how much a large table surface can help with quilting. Sure wish I had one!!! If my DH ever gives up possession of the dining table I am claiming it for the next big heavy quilt!!! He has a computer torn apart all over it right now. LOL

The other thing I am learning is how much harder it is to quilt 4 layers of things with NO give. I'm used to quilting a top and a fleece back which has a little give to it. With this quilt ( a top, 2 sheets lining and a back) there is no stretch or give anywhere so it's a whole different story. My usual pinning was not nearly tight enough so I had to make a lot of adjustments as I went. Of course that meant more handling of this danged heavy quilt. But I promise you it will for sure be an August finish!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:12 PM

Thank you all for the compliments.
TKHooper, it looks lovely.
wildyard, sounds like no fun. As a longarm quilter for customers, we cringe at sheets being the backing let alone anything else. Sheets have a purpose, but not always easy to quilt for backing. Did you try fabric softener? I use that on the sheets and batiks if I am having issues with getting thru the layers. Just a thought.