Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 931 Pros and Cons >

Bernina 931 Pros and Cons

Bernina 931 Pros and Cons

Old 01-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Default Bernina 931 Pros and Cons

My SIL has first dibs on a Bernina 931 at an estate sale. Since she doesn't sew, she wanted to know if I want her to buy it for me. I know nothing about the machine except that it's in running order and perhaps about 20 years old. The lady who owned it did not quilt, but was a prolific sewer of clothing. What price should I pay? What questions should I ask about it? If anyone on QB has one of these machines, what are the pros and cons? Does the Bernina 931 have a serpentine stitch on it? I would appreciate any input you wonderful ladies can give me before I decide whether or not to buy this machine. I don't know what the price will be, but I know it will be fairly low (less than $400) according to my SIL. I currently sew on a Pfaff Expression 2036 and am fairly happy with it, but thought it might be nice to own another machine as well.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

I think it is from the same series that I have. I don't think it is a computerized machine but my Bernina 1530 is still quilting with hardly any repairs except for maintenance. I also own a 1020 that is not computerized. I am not sure about the serpentine stitch. You can go to eBay and see if any have sold recently. They do have a tendency to hold their value since very little goes wrong with them.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ina+931&_sop=3
Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 PM

Buy it, you will love it. I have an older Bernina too and my husband always want to purchase me a new one. But, every time I have it in for a tuneup, they remind me to never sell this Bernina. It is one of the last ones made from metal parts. If I mention a new one, I'm always told if I ever do, keep this one too. So, I really never looked into purchasing a new one since mine works fine and I've never had a problem with it. By the way, I paid $1300 in 1992 and they say that Bernina's never lose their value.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:15 PM

The 930's are a pretty rugged machine! Not sure if it has the serpentine stitch on the 931. There are a couple things to check on this machine before you buy it. It has a basing device built-in, and a needle-up clutch. Both of these can become frozen up when not used regularly. And not all sewing machine techs know how to un-gum them. There is a small amount of electronic circuit boards, but I've never seen one fail. It also may come with a rock-back foot control, that moves the needle up or down when you push with your heel. That's a great feature! They put criss-cross feed dogs in SOME of the 930 series. If you're going to use a walking foot with it, it won't feed very well with those feed dogs. The feed dogs that look like teeth feed better.

If it's in good shape, and you can get it for less than $400, you'd have a bargain of a machine that will last a very long time and sew an awesome stitch.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Thank you all for taking your time to give me input on this machine. It does sound like a good deal, but do I need another machine sitting around that doesn't have the one thing I long for in a machine -- the serpentine stitch? Plus, I forgot to mention that I would love to have an indicator that lets you know when your bobbin is getting low on thread, and I would guess that this machine does not have that feature either. I have a few more days to decide before the sale takes place. Decisions, decisions! LOL
Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Yes, there is NO low on bobbin indicator. This is not a computerized machine. But if I listen carefully, I can hear a slight change in the tone of the machine telling me the bobbin is running low. I just have to be sure to listen for the hint.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:25 AM

Just wanted to let you know that in the end, I decided not to purchase the Bernina 931. I really didn't want to spend the money on an older machine that didn't have the two specific things I would like to have on a machine. It was purchased by another lady for $400, and the money goes to a good cause -- the Lions Club. I have no regrets! Maybe there will be a machine with my "requirements" sometime in my future??!!