Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Owners of the Bernina 830 LE   - pros & cons >

Owners of the Bernina 830 LE - pros & cons

Owners of the Bernina 830 LE - pros & cons

Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Cool Owners of the Bernina 830 LE - pros & cons

I presently have the Bernina 820 machine but I would love to do some embroidery & have the chance to upgrade to a Bernina 830LE. In Canada, this machine sells for $13,000.00 & before I commit to such a big purchase, I would like some input from some Bernina 830 owners. They will take my 820 as a trade in so this is my big decision & I need some help from my fellow QB members who are soooooooo generous with their ideas & opinions. Is it worth the money & obviously I know the quality is there as the 830 & the 820 are the exact same machine except for the embroidery module - please any & all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the 830 and have only taken one class on the embroidery unit. I have to travel two hours to the dealer's, so I don't get there often enough to take advantage of all the classes. But when I saw what my 830 could do with the embroidery unit, I was very impressed!! Now that summer is here, I'm more apt to drive over the mountain pass (snow in winter) and take my much needed classes.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

CAllen ... as you know I know nothing about the 830, and am just getting comfy with my 820. Unlike you, I have no desire for the embroidery feature. However, here's a thought ... when I was at the dealer I met another lady with the same machine. She did not trade it for an 830 when she wanted to add on embroidery. Instead she got a Bernina, just for embroidery. I was puzzled and asked why she wouldn't have got the 830? BEcause it can take a long time to work their way thru the embroidery design, she can set up the embroidery and let it go ... and continue sewing while keeping an eye on the other machine. Made sense to me! Of course, all depends how much you will be embroidering whether this is important ... or overkill!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM

No, the 820 and 830 are NOT the same exact machine. The 830 has increased memory files and does more stitches that use the sideways motion.

I have the 830 and I've had many, many problems. I wish I had waited as many folks have been having the same issues. You should really check out the 8 series group on yahoo and read through the many posts. The operating software has bugs that haven't been fixed and the sensors on the machine are a real Achilles heal. If I could do it over, I'd buy a longarm. People like to blame the user and say most of the problems are user error. Really? I've had over 2 thousand $$ worth of warranty work that has nothing to do with the user. And my mother board died in the emb. unit.
:< People also like to say ,"there are always some lemons." Well, based on the 8 series Yahoo group there are sure a LOT of lemons. I wouldn't like my odds and would buy a different machine if you want embroidery.

Mine was sent to Aurora for repair like so many others. Currently, it has yet another sensor out on it. I think this makes #6 sensor that has needed replacing.

Last edited by Candace; 06-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM

I've had my 830 for two years and only used the embroidery module once!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM

I've had my 830LE for a year now and I absolutely love it. Luck of the draw I suppose but I have not had any major issues with mine. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would though. Although I truly do love the machine, both sewing and embroidery (I have over 6,000,000 stitches on the embroidery side) I believe if I could redo it I would buy two machines, one I could use for piecing while the embroidery one is working.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM

I have the 830 and absolutely love it. I've never had an issue with my machine. I use the embroidery unit to make machine appliqued and embroidered blocks for quilts, I've used the embroidery unit to quilt the blocks in my quilts. It has been used to embellish jeans, shirts, coats and t-shirts. I like the way it sews and quilts. As you know you have to be particular with your thread. I've learned so much since having my machine. I have a second Bernina I use when going to classes, it is also used when the big Bernina is in for service and updating. That machine is used when the grandkids come over to sew - I set it up in the kitchen. I don't want to sew and embroider at the same time - if I have some "free" time during the embroidery process I try to get some things put away and organized for when I'm sewing.