Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
February 2016 Postcard Swap >

February 2016 Postcard Swap

February 2016 Postcard Swap

Old 02-21-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by queenof2802 View Post
I received a beautiful flag postcard with Mockingbird nest. Soooo cute! Thank you Dee.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]542515[/ATTACH]
This weekend I plan to be in the craft room. Lots to sew!!
Dee, how big is that little nest. It's proportionally the perfect size for the card. And those little blue eggs just glisten. So cute!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:28 AM

Hi everybody, I was wondering, I have one month left this year to assign a theme to. Would any of you be willing to try out the theme "Steampunk"? It's different and unique. I was just wondering how we would convey this to quilting art.

Here's a link to some definitions of Steampunk. It's kind of interesting.http://www.ehow.com/about_6460244_steampunk-art_.html

I'm trying to assign themes that will help us grow. But, it seams that a lot of these themes can be considered an art medium. What do yall think of that? Any comments, suggestions......

If your not interested, that's okay. I'm open to suggestions for that month. I've worked in 2 great suggestions from other participants that I thought would be really fun during the year as well.
For me, the postcards fill a void to create art with fabric. I don't consider them just a way to "quilt". What are yall's opinions.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Judith, I would like to try the "Steampunk." Is this doing one instead of the black and white with a pop of color? Oh! I think you do mean another theme for like later this year? I love the theme. I also love the idea of "Art Forms."

Some that come to mind also are Abstract, Mosaic, Movement, Symmetry, and Impressionistic. I know I might need to add the definitions of each.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 02-21-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
Judith, I would like to try the "Steampunk." Is this doing one instead of the black and white with a pop of color? Oh! I think you do mean another theme for like later this year? I love the theme. I also love the idea of "Art Forms."

Some that come to mind also are Abstract, Mosaic, Movement, Symmetry, and Impressionistic. I know I might need to add the definitions of each.
JuneBilie, if we have enough interest, I was thinking Steampunk in June. Thanks for the suggestions. I have to look a few up and see what they would mean. But, I'm sure we could work in at least one. Or giving people the option to pick one of those and let them portray the meaning.

I think these little postcards portray my starving artist desperate to get out. lol

Last edited by Judith1005; 02-21-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Judith it does sound exciting to see where all we can go with these. lol...
Old 02-21-2016, 08:47 AM

Greetings all, I'm open to what ever the theme......and if I feel it beyond my crafting/sewing abilities not sign up. Also, what about a primitive theme? Tea died fabric, lace or crazy quilt? Have those been a theme in the past as I don't know how long this group has been active?
And Janita, what is your avatar? I'm wonder .....thanks all And JuneBillie I have to get out my Websters and do research 😁 😄 😀 calla/Sue
Old 02-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Here is some definitions:

Mosaic - is in simple terms pieces of fabric or other media in tiny bits forming a picture whatever on a post card. Sort of like cutting up little pieces of colored paper and glueing them just a bit apart from each other to create an image.

Abstract - Art form that exists only in ones mind, not really portraying reality. You might have what to you is a forest but your trees might be coming in from all directions, with people in the forest only seen with eyes peeking out between the distorted or strangely positioned trees.

Movement - An art form that may show someone as if they are in a running position, or a river that appears to be running down stream showing movement. Just two examples of many.

The other ideas of doing the crazy patch work etc. are also wonderful ideas.

Symmetry - An art form of exact reflection of a balance on each of a dividing line. Example: A building with large columns one on each side of the front of a building. Therefore you have symmetry on each side. A house with bushes in the front of the house with the same size bushes on each side front of the house shows symmetry. If they were only on one side of the front of the house that would be called asymmetry.

Impressionistic Art Form - This is what a person or the artist sees in their eyes. Someone may be painting a picture of a meadow with trees and grass. In their painting there trees leaves in their eyes may be painted blues and browns rather than the normal as seen. The tree trunks may be painted pink rather than a typical normal color, because this is how the artist is seeing this scene in his/her own eyes. It's their own impression. I love this art form.

Another art form me and my husband like is - Illusion - Something many people believe, but is false. The act of deluding; deception by creating illusory ideas. Example: Anything showing common optical illusions.

On all of these you can just type the name in, and you can bring up images of each. I hope this helps some without being more confusing. Later on I will try to find out more for clear images etc.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 02-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Calla you can do any of these. I love the tea dyed too or any fabric dyeing or painting. I did one once long ago now with some crayons, and put a piece of fabric on top so I could put my iron down over it to kind of melt the crayon underneath, and it was a pretty effect.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM

Do love the freedom of artistic creavity....it lets the individual interpret the way they see things and that's always nice to see. no wrong or right, just beautiful expression. I would certainly like to give it a try.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 AM

Judith I mailed both of mine off.