Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
More White, attachments this time >

More White, attachments this time

More White, attachments this time

Old 01-18-2016, 04:01 AM

Default More White, attachments this time

I know I will never have the need to utilize all of these, so I'm ok with not understanding how they work. I also know where to find instructions and tutorials if I should need to.
But I sure love having them, and it's really gratifying to a nostalgic vintage soul that these tools are virtually unchanged over so long time. Serial number 1010434 puts the machine around 1896-97, so the stuff is close to a 120 years old.

So, so, just one question this time:

What is that piece missing in the velvet box?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 01-18-2016, 05:09 AM

The tucker, top left (goes where the large screwdriver is)
Ruffler, Lower left,
Shirr plate, lower right
Underbraider plate (missing)
The large looped end screwdriver would go in the lower top - where that swivel holder is (you can see the empression from the loop end).

That small item on the far left in my picture is a guide that attaches to the ruffler. It won't fit in the box if it's attached.

The two plates tuck under the tucker in the lid of the box. The narrow hemmer foot fits loose, and may have been included with the machine and not part of the box, but I'm not sure on that one.

On your lower picture, I've very interested in the third from the left, bottom row. Looks like some sort of embroidery attachment (the second from the right is, but I'm familiar with that one).

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-18-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
On your lower picture, I've very interested in the third from the left, bottom row. Looks like some sort of embroidery attachment (the second from the right is, but I'm familiar with that one).
That is the attachment that caught my eye as well. I'm thinking that it could be a "flange hemmer" similar to Singer's 189654. I think that it is for even narrower rolled hem on finer fabric. I thought it was in one of my parts list but I couldn't find it. I just remembered that I saw it in the Sewing Skills booklet from the fifties (or at least the low shank Singer model). Maybe like the hemmer 35554 for the 66-1

The wood handled item - is it a screwdriver or a buttonhole cutter?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-18-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Banned

It is a screwdriver. It is the type used by singer in the early 1870's till about 1880
Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
That is the attachment that caught my eye as well.

The wood handled item - is it a screwdriver or a buttonhole cutter?
OOPs, I'm sorry I guess I should have read that better and waited for both pictures to load before responding. I didn't see all of the first picture and saw the hemmers and read "third from the right" rather than "the third from the left, bottom row. Looks like some sort of embroidery attachment (the second from the right is, but I'm familiar with that one)."

So - I'm thinking that the top picture bottom row is from left to right, ruffler - unknown - embroidery - shirr plate.

Also, thank you Steve. Another tool for me to keep on the look out for.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 AM

The first one is a ruffler that belongs in the Attachment box. The second is the single thread embroidery attachment. This one loops the embroidery thread as it sews it down.

The third also looks like an embroidery attachment, possibly the kind with the swing arm that weaves the embroidery thread back and forth in front of the needle so it's sewn down in a sort of zigzag pattern. This is a variation of that type that I have, also for White.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:56 PM

*** Macybaby your pics will not come through for me.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:01 PM

Sorry about the pictures. I've had issues with my photobucket account and ended up moving everything and that broke all the links. Once I get it all straightened out, I'll have to repost some of the pictures on a new thread. May take a while though - I don't want to post anything that might get "broken" again.