Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
some White attachments - for reference >

some White attachments - for reference

some White attachments - for reference

Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 AM

Default some White attachments - for reference

I'm sending some items to vdot, and he had questions so I'm posting pictures here for reference - figure others might want to see this too.

He has on old White VS2 model, it's an early VS machine that takes the bullet shuttle with the pin in the middle, The earlier VS1 takes a boat shuttle. I don't know if the VS1 and VS2 take the same attachments. I do know that the White rotary I have from the 40's will take the same attachments as this VS 2 takes (with the exception of the VS/Rotary specific ones).

Even if the machines did not come with the top clamp adapter - you can put one on and use that style White feet. You do need to make sure to get the adapter that is for White machines, as there are ones for Free, New Home, National, Standard, Davis and probably others - and they are not the same.
For the most part, the needle bars are different so they won't fit.

So keep that in mind if you want to find an adapter.

Here is a White VS2 with the adapter and foot - if you loosen the set screw, it removes from the presser bar. BTW - some White buttonholers and zigzaggers require this to be removed as they clamp directly to the round presser bar.

Early feet mount directly to the needle bar - like this one (same machine).

This may be my earliest White set - made by Goodrich. The box has a plate that says "White is King".

The feet mount directly to the bar, and the hemmers are attached to slide plates.

This is another early Johnston set - also bar mount feet - however the hemmers are bed mount. The hemmers and slide plates have "white" stamped on them.

Here is a much later set of attachments for a White Rotary -

With the top clamp adapter - they fit fine.

another word of warning - there are several sets of feet that look like this last set, but they fit differently and unless you know they are for a White - they may not fit. There are two gap widths, different heights, and difference in location of needle hole, both in left/right and forward/back dimensions.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-11-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: because I keep calling the pressure bar the needle bar
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Thank you Cathy! Your write-ups on all the different attachments deserve a sticky of their own. You've spent a considerable amount of time and effort putting all this information together. I know I would never have recognized the early White attachments that go directly on the presser bar without seeing this.
Rodney
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM

I've got direct mount feet for New Home, Domestic, Demorest, Household, Eldredge - all of the ones that were making machines pre 1900. Not sure when they switched - I think all these sets are by companies before Greist got into the picture.

I love the slide mounted hemmers.

I had really thought that things would be much more settled down for this summer, but life had other plans so I've got notes and notes and no time to get the rest of the machined measured up. I found a machine that takes the shuttle that I don't have a machine for yet, but not sure I can talk the seller into selling me just the machine and shipping it.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Banned

Drooling over the early white set.... wow, just wow... If ya ever find a second set...
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Yea - that one is very different. I've seen very few that were made by Goodrich, got a few Parsens, Johnston Ruffler and Toof - and then a lot by Greist.

It's not very often now that I come across a set I haven't seen before. Doesn't stop me from searching though. Still have one machine on my "list" to get the full set for the Boye Shuttles. It's an early Eldredge machine, and it has a very unique needle plate - it's square on the outside, and round where the slide plates meet up with it - so it looks like White on one side, and National on the other LOL!!

hehehe- I have attachments I'm pretty sure will fit . . .