Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Respond if you have a Singer 15-91 >

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 AM

Default Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

If you own a Singer 15-91 post on this thread and tell us what you use it for. Furthermore, we can get to know who uses them so we can help one another.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:35 AM

I have several, I use them mostly to look at. I have one dedicated to FMQ, but I don't do a lot of that.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:36 AM

I just recently, beginning of December, got into these old machines and sewing fabric. I do have a Sailrite walking foot machine that I have done some leather work on. I say this because I will display some work I've done on the 15-91 and want to express that I am brand new to fabric sewing. And very limited leather sewing. Also, the fabric I have came free from Craigslist because someone was cleaning out their sewing shop. I got 4 giant garbage bags full.

So, here's the 15-91.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540501[/ATTACH]

And here are the two "quilts" I have done recently. My daughter is using one of them at the moment as she sleeps on the couch. I draped the other one on top, so that is both of them right there. Both of these were made from scraps so it was difficult to get matching colors, and I'm new so I don't know what I'm doing, but here they are.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540502[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160118_081740.jpg   20160118_081825.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:02 AM

I have a 15-91 but have to find someone to re-wire the motor. Ihad someone clean it up and get it running, but when I filled the bobbin on it the motor smoked and now it doesn't work. any suggestions as I live in Fulton ,Ms. thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by binkister View Post
I have a 15-91 but have to find someone to re-wire the motor. Ihad someone clean it up and get it running, but when I filled the bobbin on it the motor smoked and now it doesn't work. any suggestions as I live in Fulton ,Ms. thanks
I rewired my 15-91 by following these instructions...

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/01/co...ted-motor.html

Not sure if the motor smoking makes it more of a problem or not.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:19 AM

My 15-91 is the one my mother got as a wedding present from her parents. She taught me to sew on it when I was 8 years old. She gave it to me when she decided she wasn't going to sew anymore. (Told her that of all the things in the house I wanted was the sewing machine, so she said, "You can take that now.") It is one of my most prized possessions even though it has very little value.
Currently I use my Janome and Viking more than my Singer - but it has to be the most loved. Think I'll sew my next quilt with it since I am thinking about it now.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
KLO

I too have a 15-91 that my dh bought for me as a surprise Valentine gift a few years ago. We saw it at a nearby "antique" shop and I drooled a bit too much over it and then said I would not buy it because I had no room for it after downsizing our house. (I know, I know, that never stopped anyone else from buying.) I have only used it a wee bit mostly because it has a small wine fridge sitting on top of it right now and I am pretty sure it needs some rewiring as that all did. It is in an art deco cabinet (desk) that I love and it had a bunch of dodads in the drawers such as a sock darner, flatwork darner, zigzagger with different stitch designs, box of feet, etc. Once we get the kitchen straightened out, I hope to have it available to piece and quilt as I have heard it is great for quilting since you can drop the feed dogs. (I often don't do that though as I get a bit more control with them up but that has been discussed in many other threads.)

DKuehn, thanks for that rewiring link.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 PM

I have one that I would actually like to sell, for no other reason than space limitations. It works great though and I have used but just really do not have room for it along with the other modern and vintage machines I aso have.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:42 PM

I have one. It's my second one. The first got rehomed to a forum member. What I'll use it for when I get it serviced and cleaned up, I'm not sure.
I used Rain's blog instructions to rewire my first on.

Joe
Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM

I've owned my 15-91 for more than 20 years. I had it rewired by a sewing machine repair shop. I've sewn home dec items, women's clothinq, quilts, packing blankets into speaker covers, and other items.