Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why enter quilt shows? >

Why enter quilt shows?

Why enter quilt shows?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:18 AM

I use to love quilt shows and only made quilts for an AQS judged show then I worked as a scribe for the judges this was all before 9/11 when the judges did more traveling and would also teach classes and I learned more from them than I ever learned any other way and most of it was their comments as I really knew my week points then in 1998 it finally paid off for me although I did not win anything my quilt was juried into Paducah and now I have a request to show it again in March in a local show so it all depends on what a person enjoys there is nothing wrong with hobby quilting have fun and enjoy what you do
Old 01-25-2016, 06:20 AM

You can encourage them to inspire other to quilt. Even non quilters do go to quilt shows.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 AM

I entered a quilt into our county fair a couple years ago - I did it purely as a challenge to myself, and I didn't expect to win anything as the quilt I entered had a pretty simple construction and machine-sewn bindings, and the category I entered was one of the largest categories. I was happily surprised to get a 4th place ribbon! It wasn't judged, exactly, but they did write some nice comments on the back of the name-tag they put on it. It was chosen because they really liked the color arrangements I did.

I would have been happy without the ribbon or the nice comments, but I have to admit it made me feel pretty good to win a ribbon and have some compliments. I was proud to just have my quilt on display at the fair though - I feel like I "take" so much from the quilts I look at every year at the fair, it was my turn to contribute something. It was fun to have coworkers come to me and say they'd seen my quilt (the fair puts your name on it in huge letters) and tell me stories of their aunt or grandmother who was a quilter. It was a nice conversation starter.

I haven't entered again since, I should, though. It's good to contribute!

I've let my guild membership lapse but I still attend the show my (ex) guild puts on every summer. There are no prizes for the quilters there, it's all about putting on a good show. There's a back room where people bring in antique quilts for display, some with family histories, some with just big question marks. My guild joins with 2 other local guilds for the show, so there's always lots to look at. It's a really good show, I feel lucky that it's practically in my back yard! (It's held about 2 miles from my home!)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 AM

One guild I know ruined entering a show for everyone by changing the tags to make sure certain people in the guild won all the ribbons. Never again!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 AM

I like to enter my quilts in a show so that others will be inspired to create something on their own. One's quilt doesn't need to win in order inspire creativity in others.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Entering my quilts in a show is a way to get them FINISHED!!! I don't need a ribbon, but do really appreciate it when a judge, qualified or not, gives comments. I was asked to judge at a small county fair. We only gave out ribbons, no money prizes. They had been letting the 4-H people judge the quilts, and they weren't quilters. So the prize went to the one the judge liked the best, not the most intricate well-made one.
I think judging should be a learning experience for the quilter and for others watching. Point out something good about the quilt and then find something that might be improved.
I entered some quilts in another county fair and got two ribbons (not blue). But there were no comments. You had to be there to watch the judging to hear what the judge had to say about it. I wasn't there!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, I am no longer a member of a quilt guild, but hope to be sometime in the near future. Anyway, the guild gave you a choice whether or not you wanted your quilt judged. When I have had quilts judged, sometimes I didn't agree with their evaluation of my quilt, however, every judge made at least one positive comment about my quilt and ways I can improve my quilting.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
One guild I know ruined entering a show for everyone by changing the tags to make sure certain people in the guild won all the ribbons. Never again!
Wow! I would have caused a big scene about that.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 AM

I enter occasionally and mainly to see what pointers the judges give out. At my one guild's quilt show, they hire a accredited judge and the judge is supposed to avoid negative comments. There is a rating system and a space for comments. The guild does provide scribes for the judge.

I find the comments helpful.

It is true that judging is supposed to be objective, but it does sometimes, depending on the judge(s), turn out to be subjective.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:42 PM

Have a featured quilter and exhibit her quilts and other needlecraft she or he does. NW Quilters in Portland used to do that at its shows (not sure if that is done anymore) and the featured quilter had a special section set aside for her or his work. The quilter was usually working on a project and people had a chance to ask questions, etc. Also, how about a kid's choice along with a viewer's choice. If your guild does a public service (quilts for local hospital, homeless shelter, etc.) have a small exhibition of the quilts the members have made.