Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Room for quilt sandwich >

Room for quilt sandwich

Room for quilt sandwich

Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 AM

I have a queen size quilt top. I have no room to lay it flat( my house is tiny} Is there any way to put the sandwich together in a limited space. In the summer I do it in the yard, but NY weather prohibits that method in Dec.
Does anyone have any hints or ideas. Money has to be a consideration as I am on a limited budget.

:roll:
Old 12-14-2006, 08:01 AM

fold all three pieces in quarters and mark centers.there will be 5 marks. lay the backing wrong side up on your table and center in smooth it real good I iron my quickly si I don't get my table hot, lay your batting on top matching the very center and smooth, again I iron real quick then lay on the top the same way. baste starting in the center and work your way to each edge then slide the quilt to get another part on the table, make sure everything is aligned and smooth, it's a lot easier if you have a helper but it can be done alone, just takes a little longer. good luck
Old 12-14-2006, 08:05 AM

Hi, Ruth! I have the small house and the snow, too. I have been able to use the tables at the church, school, library, or meeting hall to make my sandwich, and pin it together. It only takes a few hours, and they usually help me do it. I've never been charged rent to use them. Another thing you might try, see if there is a quilt club nearby. They usually have tables or a larger area to use. Happy quilting!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 AM

Ruthie, I've had this challenge before and it was a puzzle for me, too. Every source I had advised that the quilt sandwich be one big flat piece before the basting could be done. I didn't have that much space! I borrowed a long folding banquet-size table from a neighbor and basted in sections from the center of the quilt out. It required a lot of taping...and pulling the taping...and taping again and again to be sure everything stayed flat...but it was a comfortable height for me and it worked. I'm imagining you basting a quilt outside in the yard and have to admire how resourceful you are !! Wow!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 PM

Ping Pong tables work great...if you know anyone who has one.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Norah
Hi, Ruth! I have the small house and the snow, too. I have been able to use the tables at the church, school, library, or meeting hall to make my sandwich, and pin it together. It only takes a few hours, and they usually help me do it. I've never been charged rent to use them. Another thing you might try, see if there is a quilt club nearby. They usually have tables or a larger area to use. Happy quilting!
Me too, the local library is good and sometimes you gather a crowd!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Try calling the senior citizen center near you. (I am not suggesting you are a senior) I bet they have space for you to pin it there. Or maybe a church? The last one I did I actually hung(layered) it on my design wall and pinned it. (Someone mentioned it here and it worked!) But, I swore that if it is that big, I will use the quilt table from here on out. Boy my wrists hurt from manhandling that quilt around my regular sewing machine.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Try calling the senior citizen center near you. (I am not suggesting you are a senior) I bet they have space for you to pin it there. Or maybe a church? The last one I did I actually hung(layered) it on my design wall and pinned it. (Someone mentioned it here and it worked!) But, I swore that if it is that big, I will use the quilt table from here on out. Boy my wrists hurt from manhandling that quilt around my regular sewing machine.
I feel your pain! That's where my Atlas 570 gardening gloves come in handy. I even managed a King size on my ancient Pfaff.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 AM

I've heard of people using a wall to make the sandwich. You might try that if you have a wall you could use.