Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt >

FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt

FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt

Old 02-06-2016, 05:42 AM

Default FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt

I just finished this Log Cabin Quilt front and back. My questions are: 1) Which method do you use to mark FMQ designs on white fabric? 2) When FMQ a two-sided quilt, which method do you find works best for both sides? Thank you for your input. The first quilt was intended to be the front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541997[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541998[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender.jpg   fullsizerender-2.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Neat top and back! Someone posted a link to a video on how to use skewers to line up both pieces. I might use the blue water erasable fabric pen on the white for marking or use a FMQ design that doesn't need to be marked.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 AM

Beautiful!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 AM

I'd probably do a meander or other edge to DGD design. It will be very difficult to line everything up. If you want to do custom quilting, why not make two quilts.

Both sides are absolutely gorgeous. You've really used those panels to their best advantage and the log cabin is beautifully done.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Whatever marking tool you use, make sure that you test it on scraps of your fabric before marking! Also, I would not choose a quilting pattern that closely follows the piecing. No matter how carefully you secure the layers, there will be some shifting and precise quilting is going to be off on the back. I would do an edge to edge.
I use thumbtacks to align. Place the tacks thru the back in the places you want to align. Put a piece of painter's tape over the heads. Place the backing on your pinning surface & secure. CAREFULLY lay the batting on the backing without sticking yourself ;-). Now you can lay the top on, using the tacks to align. Again, be very careful. Pin securely, then remove the tacks.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Whatever marking tool you use, make sure that you test it on scraps of your fabric before marking! Also, I would not choose a quilting pattern that closely follows the piecing. No matter how carefully you secure the layers, there will be some shifting and precise quilting is going to be off on the back. I would do an edge to edge.
I use thumbtacks to align. Place the tacks thru the back in the places you want to align. Put a piece of painter's tape over the heads. Place the backing on your pinning surface & secure. CAREFULLY lay the batting on the backing without sticking yourself ;-). Now you can lay the top on, using the tacks to align. Again, be very careful. Pin securely, then remove the tacks.
Thank you very much for these tips. I would have never thought of these on my own.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:52 AM

Beautiful! The colors are perfect!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Honestly I would do some thing that was an allover. There is realistically no way to make sure everything stays lined up to match front to back.

Also I would be a tad worried about all the seams you have that are on top of each other (although the batting is in between). Are you quilting it on a longarm or a domestic machine?

Personally I would make this into two qullts because both sides are so beautiful and I personally don't think any FMQ styles will look good on both sides. In the end I think you have to pick one side and quilt that side the way you want and just deal with how it looks on the other if you keep them together.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM

I agree withluvspaper, both sides are so beautiful that it would be a shame not to make 2 separate quilts.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Do NOT do what I did - in my defense it was my first. I marked the light areas with the blue wash-away pen. I also marked the dark with the iron-off pounce. WHAT WAS I THINKING? When it came time to get rid of the lines, I had to get rid of the blue lines before I could iron off the white ones. What a disaster.

You could use rulers for both sides. That would eliminate most of the marking. Or you could mark with silver pencil It should show on both.