Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My question on pp >

My question on pp

My question on pp

Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 AM

I feel your pain. I'm learning this right now (From Carol Doak's Craftsy video.) and it's like I've got it, I've got it, I've got it....I don't got it.
Frustrating, but we WILL figure it out, right?

Watson
Old 02-12-2016, 11:29 AM

I do a lot of paper piecing- and depending what it is, sometimes you can chain piece. I always extend my stitching past the lines-if you don't you may have issues when you pull the paper off. I have gotten to the point that even if the pattern isn't paper pieced, I will make pp template and do it that way-so much more accurate-though messy!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes, you need to stitch past the fold line.
Yes, you can chain stitch but it will cost you some thread. If that isn't important, then I find it easier to do all the same step on all pattern pieces. Otherwise I end up with a mess of my scraps.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I say watch Carol Doak video since you have it. You oversize the fabric and trim to 1/4" before sewing the next fabric so you have a 1/4" seam. I don't see how anyone would want to do this without the add a quarter ruler. It's inexpensive and saves so much time. It won't slip from the seam line.
yes, i as, I agree about the quarter ruler....that a must have for pp in my mind anyway........not doing anything about it today, life got in the way....maybe tomorrow....uh, no, birthday party in early afternoon, then bringing ggd(5) back home for an overnite...so no me time til Monday.........
Old 02-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I feel your pain. I'm learning this right now (From Carol Doak's Craftsy video.) and it's like I've got it, I've got it, I've got it....I don't got it.

Watson

thats funny! I don't think this will be my favorite way of piecing, but will do ONLY when I have to......
Old 02-13-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post

Watson
Right! sounds like many of us are attempting to improve our PP skills this year and I'm determined to figure it out. I also have purchased her video and hope to get some practice pieces done in the near future.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:00 AM

MacyBaby, I too am addicted to the vintage machines. It must be in the name. My name is also Cathy! LOL
Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 PM

I stitch over the line a quarter inch and use my tie off feature at each end. I have had problems with stitches pulling out when you pull off the paper so the tie off prevents that.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:22 AM

Love, love, love paper piecing! I don't know who your pattern is by, but I do a lot of Judy Niemeyer and find her instructions can sometimes be overcomplicated for new pp-ers.

Yes - stitch past the line and if you haven't already done so, reduce your stitch length to around 1.5 - this will make tearing off the paper much easier. Much of this will be cut off when you trim and depending on how your pattern folds and crosses, the 'extra' will loosen. If you haven't reduced your stitch length it may loosen too much.

Also, when I tear off my paper, I tear it it half the opposite way, down to the stitch line and remove the two halves separately - less stress on the seams. Another tip is to run a dampened cotton bud along the paper seams.

With regards to chaining or completing each block, you'll probably get a 'feel' for what suits you and the pattern. I've done both, sometimes getting into a 'zone', lol. I chain a lot, but my machine has auto-pivot where the foot lifts a little as soon as I stop sewing which makes it easy for me. When blocks are all the same it usually lends itself to the freezer paper method, but that's a whole other kettle of fish!

Templates - I often make my own template out of freezer paper when there's a lot of pieces the same size. I usually cut it a bit more generously if needed - 'fickering' (a good Scottish word for you, lol) with bits of fabric to get it to fit ain't my thing. It's less time-consuming having to cut off any extra that it is turning pieces this way and then having to unpick pieces that are too short (remember those tiny stitches.....).

You can always cut smaller, it's bigger that's the problem . That way you can iron it on to the top of pile of likely looking scraps and rotary cut a stack, remembering to cut the right side of your fabric to fit. (Ah - batiks heaven sent for paper piecers....).

Phew! That's my tuppence-worth. Happy piecing!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I stitch over the line a quarter inch and use my tie off feature at each end. I have had problems with stitches pulling out when you pull off the paper so the tie off prevents that.
good idea...thanks for that tip