Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Charity Quilts >

Making Charity Quilts

Making Charity Quilts

Old 02-14-2016, 02:52 PM

I would ask the people who run the organization that you are planning to donate the quilts to. They likely will have the information specific to their needs and what will be most useful for them.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:23 PM

Bibliogirl--my guild donates routinely to Uplift because one of our members is an active Uplift worker. She asks that we NOT donate quilts but instead donate easily wash/dry blankets--especially if accompanied by warm clothing, candles (they use for light and heating food), and waterproof outwear. I'd suggest you direct your charity quilts to another organization where the quilts actually are given to recipients that take them home. We also donate to local fire/tornado/flood victims--you could contact your local Red Cross organization to do this. I know that they often are so thankful after losing everything--quilts really do wrap the receiver up with love!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 PM

Sleeping bags are what the shelters request in my area. They're much warmer than a quilt, and more practical.

In the past, my quilt group has donated quilts to a program for terminally ill patients at a local hospital, and a new veteran's shelter that opened up recently. They had beds but no bedding. We donated a large number quilts to them; they had a fundraiser and auctioned a few off and were able to purchase sheets and pillowcases to go with our quilts. Win/win.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:23 AM

I used to work at a shelter & yes, sadly, people steal quite often. In some cases, one client would pull a weapon on another client in order to steal a nice blanket or quilt. You don't need to make it ugly, just simple. Sometimes women & children's shelters are better; it just depends.

Think Traditional Amish quilts. Nothing too light colored because it may travel around all over town & only get washed once a month, if that. Dark colors are good choices for that reason. A solid color whole cloth or basic large piecing would be nice. Nothing showy. Just stop for a moment & think to yourself "would I feel comfortable carrying this quilt while walking alone through the worst part of town? would it attract the wrong kind of attention?" If your answer is "no", you've come up with a good design. The main value in the quilts for the homeless is not their artistic quality, but the warmth the quilt gives, the reliability of having one's own bedding (shelters provide bedding at night, but if you get cold during the day or early evening, you're out of luck), and the health & sanitation benefits of not having to share bedding that was used the night before by a client with ringworm or bedbugs or such because not all volunteers are great at following washing protocol. Besides the fact that people suffering from mental illness or substance abuse are more likely to be homeless than the average healthy individual, others are simply greedy or desperate and a beautiful quilt that would sell for hundreds of dollars is more temptation than some can resist. A simpler quilt truly is a better gift in this case than a large elaborate one.

Bless you for your service to the homeless in your community. I'm sure your gift quilts will be greatly appreciated for many years to come.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:38 AM

I agree with Dunster, there are many charities who would very much appreciate a quilt donation. I would double check with those involved in helping or organizing the homeless in your area to see what the needs truly are.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

People on the street are usually homeless because they are mentally ill, drug addicted or alcoholic. They are not going to care for or even keep track of a large item like a quilt. I would donate quilts to hospitals and shelters and help the homeless with blankets or sleeping bags instead.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:23 AM

When I make a charity quilt - I make it knowing that it may end up on the ground as something used between the ground and the person. Many times I use a larger piece and tie it or machine quilt with an overall meander. I make more kids, babies quilts than bigger sizes. Even just cutting twelve inch squares and sewing them together is an easy one - that is how I taught my Granddaughter to sew, she got a lesson in sewing as well as giving. As long as they are clean, you have to give thinking they will be put to good use and then forget it.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:46 AM

I am sure some are stolen but by another cold, homeless person. I love to donate quilts and I try all sorts of patterns. I agree with Jeanne in that it is a learning experience for me. Just donated a quilt to a person that has now gotten his own space. It makes me feel so good that he has a beautiful quilt for his home.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:09 AM

Make what you love and give from your heart to whoever you wish.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 AM

A group of students interviewed homeless people to see what they wanted/needed for warmth, functionality, etc., and the "UGLI" quilt was born. It was long, to cover more of the body, the bottom folded down so the feet could be tucked in, there were hidden pockets sewn into the inside so that some personal items could be hidden, etc. Some folks do not like to make those types of quilts, but I thought the design was ingenious.