Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of making a charity quilt uninvited- how does that work? >

Thinking of making a charity quilt uninvited- how does that work?

Thinking of making a charity quilt uninvited- how does that work?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 PM

OK, I know you ladies know everything so I am asking you how this works. Some people I know are organising a fundraiser for a specific flood relief project and I was wondering how I could help, other than just giving money.

The thought crossed my mind to make something, but I am a bit shy about doing this and I don't know if the group would know what to do with it! How do people usually use donated quilts to get money for charity- auction, sell raffle tickets, what?

I am just wondering if anyone would bid on something I would make (how cringeworthy would that be). I am not being falsely modest- I know I am not the world's worst but the quality of my work is not exceptional either. I suppose a raffle might be better, as people might be happy to just view the ticket price as a donation - (that is the spirit in which I buy raffle tickets myself as I am famous for never in my whole life ever winning anything on a raffle). How much would they make on a raffle though? Maybe I should just give them money- I guess I am afraid that they might not even make as much as I would spend on materials.

Sorry this is more of a stream of consciousness than a coherent question, but just wondering alound, you know..... Anyone able to illuminate this situation for me?!!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM

I think if it is in your heart and you have the time to make a quilt, it would be wonderful! We make quilts all the time to donate to be raffled. It doesn't matter if you are a master, award-winning quilter, or just the lady down the street who sews! You might check with the fund raisers first to make sure they have the appropriate permits/tax id/ or whatever is needed to make sure a raffle is legal.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM

i agree follow your heart
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Contact them and explain what it is you want to do and see if they are open to it. Don't worry about your experience with quilting we are all still learning and improving. I'm worrying about the quilt I'm making that will be auctioned off for a charity. I'm like you thinking it won't bring in much but you never know.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM

When your heart tells you to do something, it's usually right.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

I say follow your heart. You may be amazed at how much it will raise.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM

You girls are the best- thank you so much for making it all sound simple. I'll get working - eek- I'm making a charity quilt! (well, maybe a wallhanging LOL)
Good advice about the tax thing too but I am pretty sure they have all that sorted out- will check (as soon as I am sure it is going to be done on time, of course!)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Go on and do it for charity.

Many years ago I won a Sun Bonnet Sue twin sized quilt in a raffle at a county fair, and gave it to my granddaughter (step GD, but who cares) for Christmas, and still have the picture in my mind of the expression on her face as she clutched the quilt and asked if it really was for HER.
Looking back on pictures, I can see that it was well done, but not quite expertly done, but she did not care at all, loved that quilt almost to death, and I think she still has it for her little boy.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 PM

I say go for it, also. You can suggest that they hold a basket raffle. You donate a quilt (any size you want) and others donate other handmade items (purchased if they aren't creative) and everything is put into a large basket. Someone types up a list to pin to the outside of the basket and give to those who will sell tickets. Having lots of different items (usually along a particular theme) means there's something for everyone. This kind of raffle does quite well around here. We usually sell the tickets for $1 each or 7 for $5. Again, something for everyone, even in pricing.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 AM

follow your heart -- but nothing beats giving to the 'needy' chemo rugs---cancer kids just drop them at the hospitals the staff are good at picking those who need----1/2 way houses---a lot of people do not know they need as they are so used to making do- a gift unexpected can make the world of difference