Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of piecing/quilting a 2 bottle wine bag... would this work? >

Thinking of piecing/quilting a 2 bottle wine bag... would this work?

Thinking of piecing/quilting a 2 bottle wine bag... would this work?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Default Thinking of piecing/quilting a 2 bottle wine bag... would this work?

My younger cousin is starting a new business venture; she is opening a Wine & Design studio next month. It is one of those places where you bring your own wine and paint a picture with a group. The pictures are traced before hand for you and you just basically fill in the lines, so anyone can do it.

I thought as an opening gift I would give her a wine carrier and a couple bottles of wine. Maybe I could stick some paint brushes in the side pockets along with a cork screw. I have settled on Atkinson Designs' Wine and Dine bag that carries two bottles of wine, linked below. The pattern calls for either laminate cotton, or cotton backed with a fusible interfacing.

I was thinking of piecing some mini charms on point. Do you guys think I could do that and back it with a fusible batting and quilt it? Like Bosal's In-R? I have used that for a large tote before and it worked pretty well... I am just not certain about using it for this smaller bag. (Here is a link to my tote) What interfacing would you use? I want it to hold up with the heavy wine bottles, and I don't think fusible fleece would work as well.

The bag requires a 1/2 yard of main fabric... think I should do 2 or 3 mini charm packs for that since I want to do it on point?

Or maybe I will go nuts and EPP some hexies lol

Thanks guys!!!

http://store.atkinsondesigns.com/sto...3&item_id=1040

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-08-2015 at 09:17 AM. Reason: remove copyright pattern
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Gorgeous! Show pics when you're done!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I made some mug rugs from wine bottle material. I made a wine bag for a friend but it only holds one bottle of wine.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 PM

I have seen people who have wine totes that are floppier, so if you like that look, you could go with just a basic batting. Just really make sure it is WELL padded on the piece between the 2 bottles so if they clink together they won't shatter.

That look isn't my personal preference. I like a sturdier wine tote with a more structured look. To achieve that, I'd use 72F Peltex by Pellon. It is flexible, easy to sew through & directionless so you can cut it any which way. Pellon recommends cutting it 3/8" smaller than your fabric for bags. A 1/2" would probably be sufficient, in my humble opinion.

Again, though, this is just my personal preference. I love the look of piping & structure. I like the feel of something that is heavier weight because it gives the illusion of sturdiness, elegance & luxury. Either way, I'm sure your wine tote will be beautiful & much appreciated by the recipient. Hope you post pics when it's finished!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Neat idea, sorry I'm not much help with advice though. Is this bag insulated to keep the white wine cool and the red wine at room temp I wonder?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Great design, I made the wine carrier that was on here a while back as project of the month, it's very strong and has insulation to keep wine cool, and you could use scraps, it was in 2014 sometime.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 AM

March 2014 project of the month x
Old 09-09-2015, 08:45 AM

You could use a layer of the Bonsal and a layer of Insulbrite along with the outer fabric and liner. The Bonsal would give it enough structure to stand tall, but is easily sewn and quilted through.

You might include wine glasses and either some glass charms or coasters. I made these for one of my husband's cousins. The different colors identify whose glass is whose. The base of the stem slips between the layers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530261[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-12-07-stemware-coasters.jpg