Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Another one Bites the Dust >

Another one Bites the Dust

Another one Bites the Dust

Old 03-10-2016, 07:38 AM

Unhappy Another one Bites the Dust

Just received an email that Fabric Inspirations, LLC, 285 Gordon's Corner Road, Manalapan, NJ 07726
is closing their store at the end of April So SAD!!! not to much left in New Jersey
Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 AM

I sympathize. My beloved LQS closed at the end of last year. That leaves me with nothing nearby. While I'm thankful for on-line options, it's not the same as looking at real fabric while having a friendly chat with the store staff. It is indeed so sad.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Village Quilter in Mt Holly closed last week, too. Mouse Creek is still in Howell so far.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

That is so sad that LQS are still closing.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:49 PM

I was on Rt 9 (Mouse Creek location) Sunday any my sister said as we drove past the shopping center, she didn't see the quilt shop - I didn't have time to turn around a go back, just wondering if they still are there?

Last edited by Normabeth; 03-10-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: location
Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 PM

That is very sad to hear. I really liked that shop. I did not frequent it as it's a bit of a hike, I did very much like their fabrics; layout; brightness; etc. I'm not surprised the one in Mt. Holly closed. Visited it for the first time about 6 months ago. Very nice fabrics and personnel but not much in the way of selection and a bit difficult to find. Have not been to Mouse Creek although have heard good things about it.

Certainly not affiliated with this one but my LQS is Pennington Quilt Works in Pennington, NJ (central part of the state not far from Princeton area). They have quite a fabric selection; lots of batiks as well as regular quilting fabrics; very helpful staff; relatively easy to get to (couple of minutes from Rt. 95). They are also a Bernina dealer. Somewhat new location so still nice and bright. Easy to see fabrics.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM

I understand shops of any kind closing because owners have been in business a long time and are ready to retire...sad part is no one buys it and continues to serve the public in whatever capacity. So all resort to big box stores or if possible online shopping. Wonder if this trend conitues what will the future look like.....
Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

The lqss here have been in business ever since I've been here and I'm told couple have been in it for almost 30-40 years. They still have large clientele so hopefully. One of the shops owners are in their 70s.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I have two closer local quilt stores I love to go to. I go past them both when I go that way to an appointment I have. I always try to pick up something at them on those times. They are set up so pretty, and the one closest to me gives free classes one day per week on whatever we would like help with. The other one gives a class once per month of their choosing of the latest thing for $20.00. I got an invitation from them yesterday for a class on making the folded wreathes that so many have been making. All of their fabrics etc. are first quality, and they are so knowledgeable on everything.

Jo Ann's is too far from me, but I could order on line. After I seen the fabric and other things at these two shops I just don't go anywhere else, but if I have too I just pick up something at Walmart. If I don't have much to spend I just buy a small piece at the shops, but I like what I get.

I have also ordered on the fabric sales from one person on the board here. The fabric I got from her was nice.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:07 PM

I just don't understand with so many people quilting, knitting, crocheting etc. why so many stores are closing. So sad!