Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help With My Baby Lock Tiara >

Help With My Baby Lock Tiara

Help With My Baby Lock Tiara

Old 04-02-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Help With My Baby Lock Tiara

I'm doing practice quilting on my Tiara. I changed the top thread and now I'm getting huge nests under my fabric. I've adjusted the tension with no satisfactory result. I'm using the same type top thread (different color), and the same practice fabric. I think the problem lies with my threading of the top thread but for the life of me, I can't see where I am missing a step. I think I'm missing a guide insertion around my needle. Can any one help? A picture of the needle area and where the thread goes would be helpful.

It worked perfectly the last time I used it so I'm pretty sure it's a threading issue. The diagram in the manual isn't very clear.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:34 PM

I have the HQ 16 and one time I didn't floss the top thread inthe tension disk well, got bird nesting nd lots of loops on bottom!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:35 PM

Make sure you have the needle in right, and thread it from the correct side. I don't have a Babylock so I can't look in a manual. Do you have a manual?
Old 04-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Make sure you have the needle in right, and thread it from the correct side. I don't have a Babylock so I can't look in a manual. Do you have a manual? I just looked at instructions on Internet and the long groove on the needle is supposed to face the bobbin side of machine. I hope you understand me. ha. Well, I posted twice. Forgive me. I looked again and there is something about flossing the thread in the tension disks. I don't know.

Last edited by barny; 04-02-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Were you careful to thread while the presser foot was in the up position? Because if the presser foot is down when you do the upper threading, the thread won't seat properly inside the tension discs. Raising the presser foot moves those tension discs apart so the thread can settle in. The flossing of thread also helps the upper thread seat properly, but it won't work if the presser foot is down while you are doing it.

The nests underneath could be the top thread being pulled way down with every stitch because the top thread is not getting tension from the discs.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prekteacher View Post
I have the HQ 16 and one time I didn't floss the top thread inthe tension disk well, got bird nesting nd lots of loops on bottom!
I've also had this happen with my Sweet Sixteen. Once I forgot to put the thread theprough the hole I the pressed foot just before threading the needle and had problems.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I've also had this happen with my Sweet Sixteen. Once I forgot to put the thread theprough the hole I the pressed foot just before threading the needle and had problems.
I meant to say I forgot to put the thread through the hole in the presser foot just before threading the needle.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 PM

I think you're on the right track, nests on the bottom means something's off with the top thread. I'd check the manual for the proper threading procedure and check that there are no minuscule pieces of thread caught anywhere in the thread path.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:47 PM

I do have the manual but when it gets down to threading the needle, it just sort of leaves you hanging with an unclear picture. I found a great video tutorial on YouTube but when she got to the how to thread the needle part, she put her head right in front of the needle so you couldn't see anything. I wanted to yell at the person holding the camera to tell her to move her head! I'll go back and "floss" the thread in the tension disc. That sounds like the most promising solution.

Fortunately, I can go down to the store where it was purchased and look at how it is threaded, or get a demo. But it would sure be nice to solve it without having to make the trip.

Really appreciate the help!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:51 AM

On page 16 & 17 shows the way to thread the Tiara in my instruction book http://babylock.com/ftp/whitepapers/...ion_Manual.pdf
also you may need to adjust the tension more

Thread Nests Under Quilt Corrective Measure
• Check that the machine is threaded correctly. Make certain that the thread is
flossed snugly in place between the two tension discs. If the machine is correctly
threaded, tighten the top tension by rotating the tension knob clockwise.
• Not enough tension on top
thread
• Improper threading • Refer to the threading diagram and threading instructions on pages 16-17.