Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist! >

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:11 AM

Default UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

.......or so I thought! When I first started quilting and I found out about everyone's UFO's, I couldn't understand how someone could NOT start and finish one quilt at a time. Well, a few days ago, while counting the quilts I had completed, I noticed that there were 8 lurking UFO's! How did that happen? I have:
  • Two baby quilts unfinished because I need to embroider some of the appliques
  • One baby quilt unfinished because I ran out of one of the fabrics and haven't found more
  • A quilt for myself unfinished because I give priority to quilts I make for others
  • My class quilt unfinished because I don't like the colours I chose
  • My grandson's quilt is finished but needs a label so I haven't given it to him yet (ashamed)
  • Two single bed quilts unfinished because I keep getting distracted by buying more fabrics instead of actually sewing!

So, I take it back, UFO's do exist and they're hovering patiently in my sewing room. I'm curious to know what reasons everyone else on this board has for their UFO's? Am I just making excuses for myself? What are your 'reasons'?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:21 AM

I prefer to call them "WIPs". Makes me feel like I have a chance of finishing them.

-One queen-sized quilt that I am FMQ-ing, so I just keep coming back to it and picking away at it and then when I have had enough, I do something else for awhile.
-One single sized quilt that just needs binding, (which I have), but I just don't care for it so I haven't gotten around to it yet.
-One single sized quilt that I need to buy a new sized needle for before I can continue with the FMQ-ing.
-One baby quilt which I just finished basting and I will,(Any minute now!) begin hand-quilting.
-One stained glass wall hanging that I've been working on for over a year that just needs an eye sewn on.

That's about it.

Watson
Old 04-18-2016, 04:25 AM

My UFO's come because of distractions- you know tyranny of the urgent! But, I am chipping away at them by trying to schedule my time better and setting goals. I need to learn to tell myself 'NO'.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't tend to work on more that one project at a time, however, I will say that I look at the process as having 2 distinct phases: piecing and quilting/binding. I know it's 'not a quilt unless it's quilted' but I don't consider my unquilted tops UFOs. They are completed tops. If I don't know what I'm going to do with the quilt when its done, I tend to store the top as is. Takes up less space and when I need a gift I grab one and quilt it. When I piece a top, I don't work on anything else until it's done. Same thing when I quilt it. Don't work on anything else until it's bound.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I am a Gemini and I get bored easily. I work on numerous quilts at one time. Sometimes it is because I need additional fabric to finish the top but I am getting more UFOs done than started.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

i design [read make up as i go] most of the quilts i make. often times, i have to give the next step serious thought. so i start other quilts before continuing the first. it took me 8 months to make my DGSs quilt.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM

Iam better at piecing than at quilting, so once the top is done, I move on to another before quilting. I also start projects for gifts that must be completed by a particular date so others fade into the closet for later. And one more problem is I tend to spend more time looking online at quilts than actually making them...like now! I am currently making two wallhangings for others, one that needs to be mailed off by the ends of the month and one needed by the end of May. I am avoiding fabric purchases and new starts until I have these completed and at least one completed top quilted and bound. Wish me luck.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:33 AM

I do the same thing as Paper Princess, finish one before starting something else. I've broken my rule recently..... I have a quilt for each of my grandsons and haven't finished them yet... Shame on me.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 AM

I blame my back for my UFOs. I can only sit for a short spell at a time. This is ideal in the sewing room -- pin a little, sew a little, press a little -- up/down, up/down, etc. To make any progress on quilting, one must sit and sit and sit. So that's why I progress more slowly with quilting than with piecing. If I need a standing break, I can always start cutting a new quilt!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 AM

I always have one on the machine being pieced, one next to the TV to be quilted, one in a travel bag to quilt in the car when hubby yells "road trip", one in my head thinking what fabrics would go with it. I also have several kits I bought at quilt shows, but are too small, like throws that need to be "enlarged" for bed size.