Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A call to all quilters! >

A call to all quilters!

A call to all quilters!

Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Snohomish County, Washington (recent transplant from Southern California)
66 F retired M (47 yrs)
quilting since 1976 (Bicentennial resurgence of interest in quilting)
online (QB) since 2011 / don't remember
quilt with world relief group at Lutheran church, joined local guilt at recent show but have only attended one get-together
several quilt shops within 30 to 45 minutes drive; have not done any classes recently; did 2015 Row By Row
QB mainly for social sharing of ideas
I don't Facebook, I don't Tweet, but occasional email sure is sweet! Can search internet and shop online for deals.
I sew almost every day, usually on charity quilts. Often spend over 2 hours a day.
prefer printed patterns in books and magazines.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Live outside small town in Alabama, age 61, retired from child safety field, widowed, been sewing since I was old enough for my grandmother to put a needle in my hand, quilting for 9 years. Online communities for a couple of years now, joined to connect with other quilters, share ideas, learn new techniques. there is no guild close enough for me to attend. I spend about 6 hours a day in my studio sewing. I think computer generated pattern software makes it easier for designers to create their patterns. I do limited other social media to connect with family and friends that are not local.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Terms like "exquisite intimacy '' to make the report seem educated beyond what it is? Why all the silliness to label a simple survey, it's more then I can keep a straight face over much less participate.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Don't want to sound negative, but I'm hesitant to provide a bunch of info to someone with a single post on our site. A better way might be to create a survey hosted thru the university. The survey should start with a paragraph or two introducing the requester and explaining their goals and include better definition of the puzzling term "exquisite intimacy''.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 AM

I am completely amazed, not surprised, but amazed... at how many of you reply to a perfect stranger who gives no information about his or her self. Guess I find myself more cautious than many of you.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

This is a phishing post. It's on other boards too. Should be deleted and poster banned as it was on the other boards.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
I am completely amazed, not surprised, but amazed... at how many of you reply to a perfect stranger who gives no information about his or her self. Guess I find myself more cautious than many of you.
I know. This is how so many sad sack posts get free stuff sent to them too.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:08 AM

Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city?
Large suburb in So. California

•What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status?
70, female, retired teacher, married

•How long have you been quilting?
40 yrs

•How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join?
20 years, to gain more knowledge about quilting

•What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large?
Just online forums

•Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?
Yes

•What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum?
Knowing that there there is always someone to help you

•Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?
yes, learning techinques to solve problems has affect the quality of my quilting

•Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy?
No. Yes, I am very computer savvy.

•How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week?
10 hours

•What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources?
Computer generated patterns/resources are inspirational to me, but I never use them in the making of a quilt
Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM

Hello!

The "Exquisite Intimacy" refers to the bonds fostered between women of many generations through quilting. The course the intimacy of the quilter and their works - which often carry familial love and narratives of their lives in ways that many women didn't have many outlets for in society. We also look at the connections to literature through essays by writers such as Lucy Lippard who brings to light the fact piecing of quilts being a labor of love by binding up the fragmented pieces is not far from the fragmented time women often have to themselves. In the case of my research paper, the intimacy is of sharing your work and your stories with other people who share your interests. I hope that this was helpful.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:53 AM

Hello!
This actually is a real human being trying to gather narratives for a research paper. I'm Asia, a theatre student from Atlanta, GA. My grandmother taught me sewing skills at a young age (her mother was a seamstress), but I didn't take advantage of the knowledge that she shared with me until I got to college and got a job working in my school's costume shop, where I help build costumes. Most of my sewing experience has been in clothing and pattern making, so it has been so exciting to get my feet wet with quilting! In our class, we actually dedicate a lot of time to developing our piecing skills. I love it! My grandmother and I decided that we're going to sew a quilt together this summer, since it will be my last summer at home. From what I understand, "Exquisite Intimacy" refers to the bonds fostered between women of many generations through quilting. The course focuses on the intimacy of the quilter and their works - which often carry familial love and narratives of their lives in ways that many women didn't have outlets for in society. We also look at the connections to literature through essays by writers such as Lucy Lippard who brings to light the fact piecing of quilts being a labor of love by binding up the fragmented pieces is not far from the fragmented time women often have to themselves. In the case of my research paper, the intimacy is of sharing your work and your stories with other people who share your interests. I hope that this was helpful. I haven't asked for any information that would endanger your identity. I just want to hear your opinions