Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A call to all quilters! >

A call to all quilters!

A call to all quilters!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bernina94 View Post
Hello!
This actually is a real human being trying to gather narratives for a research paper. I'm Asia, a theatre student from Atlanta, GA. My grandmother taught me sewing skills at a young age (her mother was a seamstress), but I didn't take advantage of the knowledge that she shared with me until I got to college and got a job working in my school's costume shop, where I help build costumes. Most of my sewing experience has been in clothing and pattern making, so it has been so exciting to get my feet wet with quilting! In our class, we actually dedicate a lot of time to developing our piecing skills. I love it! My grandmother and I decided that we're going to sew a quilt together this summer, since it will be my last summer at home. From what I understand, "Exquisite Intimacy" refers to the bonds fostered between women of many generations through quilting. The course focuses on the intimacy of the quilter and their works - which often carry familial love and narratives of their lives in ways that many women didn't have outlets for in society. We also look at the connections to literature through essays by writers such as Lucy Lippard who brings to light the fact piecing of quilts being a labor of love by binding up the fragmented pieces is not far from the fragmented time women often have to themselves. In the case of my research paper, the intimacy is of sharing your work and your stories with other people who share your interests. I hope that this was helpful. I haven't asked for any information that would endanger your identity. I just want to hear your opinions
Thanks for responding. I had a feeling you had a family member who was a quilter and who influenced your decision to choose quilting for your research. Good luck with your project!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Hope this helps. If you have more questions - just ask:
Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city?
I live on the outskirts of a small hamlet in Northern California, in the unincorporated area of Sacramento.
What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status?
58, Engineering Services Manager, married (39 years)
How long have you been quilting?
~25 years
How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join?
I joined the QB in October 2015. My original reason was to get some tips/hints about assorted quilting techniques, learn new skills, and get some specific questions answered. I also thought that the pictures were motivational.
What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large?
I belong to a local guild, additional forums, go to quilt shows, and twice a year I go to a quilting retreat.
Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?
There are local quilt shops with classes. However, I prefer to take classes at craftsy.com (online) where I can review the lessons on my schedule (and I can do that in my pajamas with a glass of wine lol).
What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum?
I didn’t realize at the time that I would form strong bonds of friendship with some of the members on the forum. I am a bit of a loaner and the forum connections allow me to be part of a community. Since we discuss things other than just quilting, I feel much more connected as we have members from all over the US and all over the world. From natural disasters and traumatic events to learning about different cultures, the world has become a much smaller place.
Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?
I constantly see new color combinations and new patterns so visits to the forum keep me current. Many of the exquisite works shown here are very inspiring to me and I strive to do the best I can and challenge myself on the next quilt. I have also done some creative work – out of the box.
One of the biggest changes for me has been my willingness to actually free-motion quilt. I was so scared of failing that I needed the quilting community to help me build courage. Sounds silly, I know.
Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy?
I don’t have too much time between working, home-life and quilting, so I am keeping social media to a manageable level. Having family outside of the country Facebook is a good (fast) way to stay connected for me. My work requires computer knowledge and some programming. Let’s just say I get around.
How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week?
Depends: During a motivated week I can pull 50 hours. Some weeks I don’t sew at all but then I will probably doodle quilt designs on my drawing pad. I think 30 hours would be a good average.
What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources?
Tools to make quilting easier is a good thing but just like with anything else, there is a variety of options AND there are some duds too. The trick is to evaluate the tool/resource before buying. Of course the forum is a great place to ask “hey – has anyone used/tried [xyz]?” and in a little while, a myriad of opinions will be posted. They can help me make up my mind. In the end, even computer-generated patterns and resources are only as good as the person using them.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Hi. I am glad your class is centering exquisite intimacy of quilting. Sounds like the universe will be balanced.

• Where I'm from doesn't have any influence on my quilting now, but am currently just outside a small town.
  • Late 50's, female, legal profession, married.
  • About a dozen years.
  • Online a few years, first joined when I discovered the rich resources available, and the how much time it sad.
  • Facebook.
  • Attend a local once-a-month quilt club.
  • Social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum are people are so nice, never any criticism.
  • Do Yes, given me courage to quilt outside of my comfort zone.
  • Just FB. I use a computer daily for work. And I have a recent teenager for help.
  • a few hours, since I work full time and am self-employed.
  • I don't know of any computer generated quilting patterns.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Hello!
This actually is a real human being trying to gather narratives for a research paper. I'm Asia, a theatre student from Atlanta, GA. My grandmother taught me sewing skills at a young age (her mother was a seamstress), but I didn't take advantage of the knowledge that she shared with me until I got to college and got a job working in my school's costume shop, where I help build costumes. Most of my sewing experience has been in clothing and pattern making, so it has been so exciting to get my feet wet with quilting! In our class, we actually dedicate a lot of time to developing our piecing skills. I love it! My grandmother and I decided that we're going to sew a quilt together this summer, since it will be my last summer at home. From what I understand, "Exquisite Intimacy" refers to the bonds fostered between women of many generations through quilting. The course focuses on the intimacy of the quilter and their works - which often carry familial love and narratives of their lives in ways that many women didn't have outlets for in society. We also look at the connections to literature through essays by writers such as Lucy Lippard who brings to light the fact piecing of quilts being a labor of love by binding up the fragmented pieces is not far from the fragmented time women often have to themselves. In the case of my research paper, the intimacy is of sharing your work and your stories with other people who share your interests. I hope that this was helpful. I haven't asked for any information that would endanger your identity. I just want to hear your opinions
This was very helpful to see you are a liggit person. Best wishes with your research.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
As an artistic, non-conformist rebel I would have to say I'd rather enjoy my quilting than analyze it to death. This sucks the enjoyment right out of it, for me. This is why I am quilting rather than taking college courses.

Touche! I don't answer any questions presented by an anonymous poster who is not even involved in this hobby....class called art and activism.....explain that ....
Old 05-09-2016, 02:43 PM

Hello!

The "Exquisite Intimacy" refers to the bonds fostered between women of many generations through quilting. The course the intimacy of the quilter and their works - which often carry familial love and narratives of their lives in ways that many women didn't have many outlets for in society. We also look at the connections to literature through essays by writers such as Lucy Lippard who brings to light the fact piecing of quilts being a labor of love by binding up the fragmented pieces is not far from the fragmented time women often have to themselves. In the case of my research paper, the intimacy is of sharing your work and your stories with other people who share your interests. I hope that this was helpful.
R

oh, this sounds so academically dry and fictional. I agree completely with one by one about this being bogus and should have been invalidated by admin......
Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
oh, this sounds so academically dry and fictional. I agree completely with one by one about this being bogus and should have been invalidated by admin......
Looking at the Vassar course catalog, the course does exist:

http://catalog.vassar.edu/content.ph...=7&navoid=2054

ART 366 - Art and Activism in the United States

Semester Offered: Spring
1 unit(s)[HR][/HR](Same as AFRS 366, AMST 366, and WMST 366) Topic for 2016/17b: Exquisite Intimacy. An interdisciplinary exploration of the work and role of quilts within the US. Closely considering quilts as well as their creators, users, keepers, and interpreters, we study these integral coverings and the practices of their making and use with keen attention to their recurrence as core symbols within American history, literature, and life. Lisa Collins.

This actually looks to me like a pretty interesting course. Good luck with your research!
Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM

A study about people who study these topics might be worthwhile.

Meanwhile Research 501 is a valuable graduate course, and one of the units covers the development and writing of surveys.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:28 PM

Bernina94,
Has this research been reviewed by the College's IRB? There is more to the process of conducting research on human subjects- yes we are human subjects and yes this is research as it will lead to generalizable information.
Who will see the information? What is the hypothesis of the study? How will the results be shared with those who participated? What are potential risks of participation? Who can we contact at the college with questions about the study? Sounds like an interesting study.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:29 PM

Since I have been mulling this whole thing in my mind during supper, I decided to post more of my opinions.

I think the college course title is almost insulting. I think that a person can study the camaraderie between quilters, as well as the creativity expressed by a quilter's art. However to understand intimacy between quilters, you need to experience it. Bernina, you will learn more about that when you quilt with your grandmother this summer. Intimacy is private, it is deep, and it is a treasure. It is nobody else's business. It has nothing to do with geography, how many hours a week a person quilts, or how technically savvy she/he is. It has to do with the building of a relationship.