Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to manage seams in Hunters Star >

How to manage seams in Hunters Star

How to manage seams in Hunters Star

Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Default How to manage seams in Hunters Star

I would like to make a Hunters Star quilt (I am following this method: http://www.cascadequilts.com/2011/02...orial.html?m=1).

I tried one block, it came out reasonably well. But the seams get bulky. Is there a good way to manage the seams to reduce bulk? I have seen references to spinning the seams on a 4 patch, but I'm not understanding how those few threads just pop open. I don't want to tug, this block has a bit of stretch.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:20 PM

You could try pressing the seams open... I know some people hate this method but I've found it helps especially when working on bias cuts.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 PM

And I always seem to get truer more accurate blocks than when only pressing in one direction.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:33 AM
Power Poster

I pop the seams open all the time. Make yourself a 4 patch. when you stitch the final seam, you need to have your seams going in opposite direction. This is so the seams will all lay in either clockwise or counter-clock direction or it won't work.
Attached Thumbnails press-seam.jpg  
Old 06-03-2016, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingBear View Post
You could try pressing the seams open... I know some people hate this method but I've found it helps especially when working on bias cuts.
I'm an open-seam presser as well. Makes the blocks lay much flatter and I've never had an issue with a seam coming open in my quilts even after years of use/washing.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I usually do what ManiacQuilter2 does. I learned it by watching Eleanor burns. The other thing I heard about is to use my clapper on intersecting seams that are stubborn. It works fine for me but would still pop the seams open first
Old 06-03-2016, 04:23 AM

Maniac Quilter 2 and Stitchnripper - by seams running opposing directions, I understand that to be nesting seams? Which I try my darndest to always have. How do you "pop" those seams open? Do you just use your seam ripper and pull at the first one? I'll have to look up Eleanor Burns. I am very visual.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:44 AM

You don't actually "pop" them. Where the seam of the two pieces intersect, there's a vertical seam - generally 3-4 stitches from the intersecting seam to the raw edge of the seam allowance. I just very gently use my seam ripper to pick those 3-4 stitches out on both vertical stitches to the seam that crosses it. Do that on both sides then "smush" (technical Eleanor Burns term) them open.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 AM

I watched Eleanor Burns and also clicked on the link for spinning the seams onthe 9 patch. And - I got it!!! I see what is meant by those extra seams. I was able to do this on my block (only had 1 seam flipped wrong)- and it sure makes a big difference!!!! Thanks for the links - I'm very visual, and I hadn't seen those yet - those made sense to me.

I have contemplated pressing my seams open as was suggested. I know Leah Day is also an advocate and says the same – she’s never had an issue. I think I would miss the nesting seams when putting together rows. But I am thinking this might be good to try on a smaller quilt. It might be something that I really like as well. My sewing machine doesn’t really like any bulk. L
Old 06-03-2016, 07:43 AM

At my guild meeting on Wednesday a wonderful LAQ, mentioned that when she gets a quilt with a big star or medallion with lots of bulk, she uses a syringe with Best Press and just applies the Best Press to the seam then presses. She said it works wonders.

I am working on a 60 degree quilt and one of the many great tips I got here was to press the seams open. It works wonders for me.