Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
piecing arcs to top and bottom >

piecing arcs to top and bottom

piecing arcs to top and bottom

Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 AM

Default piecing arcs to top and bottom

Oh, I'm having trouble. Here's my picture.

I'm having trouble sewing the arc to the top and bottom piece. It's a Judy Neimeyer pattern.
I've made it to the border. Have all the arcs done. But the sewing of the arc to the top and bottom piece is leaving me with a tuck or a pinch in the fabric. Yes, I've done arcs before. Can't remember how I did it successful.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM

I have sometimes used basting glue to hold the arc together better than pins. Sometimes the pins cause those little puckers. Very small dabs of glue all around using a tiny spout or toothpick so it doesn't get to heavy. After stitching you can use a small paint brush to dampen where glued if you want to separate. Try it on a sample...hope it works for you.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 AM

Have you checked her website for any pattern corrections? Found many patterns Judy N. or from quilting magazines will have corrections. Learned the hard way to always check websites and publishers for corrections. Or maybe some bias which could cause a little stretching. Georgia Bonesteel once suggested to me to use a lot of spray starch almost making curve feeling like a board. It worked for me.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I'll have to remember this.
Originally Posted by Jgal View Post
Have you checked her website for any pattern corrections? Found many patterns Judy N. or from quilting magazines will have corrections. Learned the hard way to always check websites and publishers for corrections. Or maybe some bias which could cause a little stretching. Georgia Bonesteel once suggested to me to use a lot of spray starch almost making curve feeling like a board. It worked for me.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:05 AM

What Sneed said. We are working on arcs in PP club and our instructor recommends glue basting. Good luck!