Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Remember 87 and Still Quilting? >

Remember 87 and Still Quilting?

Remember 87 and Still Quilting?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the encouraging story. The quilt turned out quite well and kudos to your aunt for getting it done. Your aunt is wise to keep being active as much as possible.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 AM

*** Good for her - Great Quilt.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Wow I'm impressed. She is an inspiration. Beautiful work.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Ditto to all that has been said. It seems like she knows what is important. BrendaK
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

What an inspiration! That's one terrific gal!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

What a treasure. I have an Aunt in Texas that will be 100 on December 29th and she is 4' 9" tall. For her 99th birthday party she performed a dance for all the residents at her assisted living facility. Praying for that kind of strength
Old 06-29-2016, 04:03 AM

Smile Still going at 84

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Last yr. I shared the story of my 87 yr. old cousin who had to move into a nursing home (same one my Dad resides in). She was and still is their only resident with a sewing machine in her room. She told me of her wish to make a quilt to use up the vintage embroidered blocks once gifted to her by an aunt. Well, she's now 88, survived quite a bad battle of pneumonia and long hospital stay, worked on getting her strength back, and finished the quilt.

Please excuse my photos. I popped into her room today when she was at activities, and I didn't feel I should straighten and remake the bed without her being present and asking her first.

I hope I have her drive, energy and persistence when I'm her age!
I am not quite as old as your cousin, but am 84 years old and live in a cottage at a retirement home. I take part in as many activities as I can; that is so important for the quality of life to be good.

I have made many projects for other residents including walker bags, adult bibs, bow ties, purses and tote bags, and various Christmas decorations. I have also made some raggy quilts, 2 crib quilts for great-grandchildren, and will be starting on sewing for 2 more great-grandchildren due this year.

I do have congestive heart failure and a-fib, but am determined to keep going, just slowing down when I have to. I miss my husband, but have a full life with family, friends, and various volunteer and fun activities.

Life is what you make it at any age and in spite of problems! I am a happy person!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 AM

amazing ! good for her !
Old 06-29-2016, 07:09 AM

Its amazing how long people live now and how well alot of them do. Last night on Martin Yin, he was in his homeland and at a place where the still do all hand embroidery, this guy is 87 and has been doing it since he was 16. He still doesn't need glasses, even to thread the needle. He had a lot of beautiful work including cutwork needle, which I only do by machine. In another town this lady was 85 and a pottery maker, she does it all day long with her grand daughter spinning the wheel while she makes the piece. She had the happiest smile on her face and Martin said she was like that all day long. I quite a while to go before I'm close thier age but would love to retire and do anything I want. I guess when you love your job its easy to keep at it. I just want to do all my hobbies and spend time with my grandkids and great grandkids. I'd be happy, oh yeah, and not have to worry about paying bills. The quilt is very pretty and happy to hear she bounced back after such an ordeal.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 AM

WOW, she's amazing, I have all I can do to move some days. I also hope to still be quilting.