Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has Anyone Made a Slipcover for a Fouton? >

Has Anyone Made a Slipcover for a Fouton?

Has Anyone Made a Slipcover for a Fouton?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Suz

Default Has Anyone Made a Slipcover for a Fouton?

The present cover on our fouton is a natural (muslin-like) color. It is beginning to show signs of dirt. Should I make an entire cover for both sides with a zipper or a fitted-sheet cover wherein it could be removed and washed? Should I use a bungee cord covered w/the same fabric to help keep it tucked into the fold?

Help!
Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM

I'd use fitted sheet and use elastic to tie or make ties easy to get off and on to wash done with other projects and worked well
Old 07-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Have you tried to wash your present cover first. You said it was starting to show signs of dirt or did you mean signs of wear?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:17 AM

I made a fitted cover with a zipper. It was very easy to make. It was quite a wrestling match to actually put it on the mattress!
Old 07-09-2016, 06:25 AM

Have you considered, dying the cover so it doesn't show dirt as much?? Or is it spills and other stains?
Old 07-09-2016, 06:32 AM

I have a futon. I ordered covers for them from eBay about 8 years ago. I don'know if the guy still sells them, but he had a large selection of colors and the fabric is like a microsuede. I ordered raspberry and dark brown and switch them out and they look great. I have used them constantly for 8 years. They have taken a beating and they still look new. There is a polyester backing on them and it protects the mattress from stains. If you want to make your own, you would probably measure the length and width and thickness of the sides to make something that looks like a big pillowcase, without the ends sewn together. Then, measure the length and width of the ends and add into the width what you think you'll need for a zipper casing. Then cut that in half and sew a long zipper in. Now sew the zippered ends to the big cover Don't forget to add in seam aowances to your measurements. Amazon sells log zippers. Choose a fabric that will protect the matress from spills if possible. You can also buy a can of Scotchguard.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Suz

The cover on the futon is upholstered on and is not removeable. I will check eBay and Google to see if I can find a readymade cover. Otherwise, I'll make a fitted sheet type as I have found a nice linen that would work nicely. Thanks for all of your help and ideas. S
Old 07-09-2016, 02:55 PM

My sister and I took my futon pad out in the yard early in the morning resting it across three plastic saw horses. We used squeeze bottles full of fabric dye and water mixed 1:5, dripped dots, squiggles, lines and other graffiti all over it. Let it set for thirty minutes, then we took the hose to it and rinsed the pad until all water ran clear. We left it to dry for two days, and moved it inside when we were sure it was dry completely. We used navy, burgundy, and forest green with small bits of harvest gold. I got a lot of comments and compliments on it. (Please understand, we did this in Texas, where we were pretty sure there would be no rain.) I also discovered that the full size, fitted sheets with deep side "pockets", makes a pretty inexpensive cover for them.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-09-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 PM

There are several sources for ready-made futon slipcovers. I'm sure Mr. Google will be your friend. My dogs like to 'nest' on my futon in the sewing room so they take a beating. Reasonable prices as I remember for the durability of the ready-made as well as not having to deal with the measuring; closures; etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

I would go with fitted sheets but you might check to see how much they are on Google. I couldn't wait to get rid of ours. Our son wanted more room so he wanted the futon to be able to flip it. We had it about 4 years total. I put a fitted sheet on it when guests came. I vacuumed it often, I wasn't about to wrestle that thing around. They make them different, lighter weight from what I'm told. That's ok. I would vacuum first then use an upholstery cleaner. that may be all you need.