Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Supreme Slider question >

Supreme Slider question

Supreme Slider question

Old 07-10-2016, 04:51 PM

Default Supreme Slider question

I see on Craftsy where they recommend a "Supreme Slider" for free motion quilting. I went to "Nancy's Notions" to see what it is and the cost is about $33.00. Does anyone here use it? Tell me about it please! Is it really worth the money? Is there a way to substitute something cheaper.

When I lower my feed dogs my quilt smashes and will barely move.(even with no pressure on the foot.) I leave them up and of course lower the pressure one the foot as far as my machine lets me. This is pretty satisfactory for free motion quilting, but I would rather use the slider. (maybe.)
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Try using the search function in the upper right corner. I just did and there are lots of recent discussions on this topic. I have one. It didn't find it all that helpful. Others love them.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I have the Supreme Slider. It makes a difference to me how the quilt glides on my table as it has less friction. I don't tape it down, it sticks fine. If it becomes not sticky enough a quick rinse under running water will restore it. I think $33 is a good price. I paid much more then that for mine and it has lasted me over 10 years and still works like new.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 PM

I used sew slip It is bigger than the queen slider and I believe I paid about 20 bucks for it about 8 years ago not sure what it goes for now. I now use my true glide overlay by babylock that came with my stitch regulator
Old 07-10-2016, 08:06 PM

I have one & I really like it, but from what you've written I really don't think it would solve your problem. Sliders make the surface smoother to move the quilt on (and yes, there are cheaper alternatives), but they won't change the amount of pressure from the foot or the quilt getting "smashed" through the needle plate.

Instead of a slider, here's what I'd try first (if you haven't already):

- Stitch length is "0"
- Single hole needle plate is installed (this will keep fabric from getting smashed down through the hole -- it is absolutely essential; you can buy it 3rd party for most machines)
- Top tension generally is pretty loose (usually somewhere between 1-3, depending on machine)
- Reverse pattern foot is installed (that's your basic presser foot to sew everything)
- If you're using a high loft poly or Warm & Plush cotton batting, maybe try a low-medium loft batting instead and see how that goes (Warm & Natural, Poly-Fil, Hobb's wool, any Quilter's Dream batts)
- There are a few methods for moving the quilt to FMQ. You could try just barely touching it with your fingertips to move it around, in which case I'd recommend Machinger's gloves or something similar with grippy tips; you can move hands a bit away from the needle & grab a fistful of fabric like it's a steering wheel to pull it different directions (typically, fabric is grabbed from underside); you could try one of those hoops or Bat Scooters where your hands are raised. Your forearms should be brushing the tabletop, parallel to the floor. Sometimes slowing down the machine speed helps to get into a smooth, relaxing rhythm.

If you were saying that your stitches weren't even, I'd suggest a Slider. If you were saying that your muscles are sore from moving the quilt, I'd have ergonomic suggestions for you (sink machine in table, body mechanics, suspension system). But as I understand it, it sounds more like an issue with your machine (either different set-up is needed, or perhaps it needs maintenance/adjusting). I work with high loft batting (Warm & Plush) plus I have layers of needle turn applique that I quilt through. I do need to lower the pressure on my presser foot because of the high loft batting & extra layer(s) of fabric, but the only difference between FMQ with Slider & FMQ without Slider is that my stitches are more uniform in size with the Slider because the friction is reduced. I can definitely move my quilt around without issue whether I'm using a Slider or not.

If none of these suggestions work, you could try a Teflon baking sheet & cut your own hole in it -- but again, it really doesn't sound like it'd solve your problem. If you do use the Slider, it will cover your feed dogs, so you would want to put them down.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I have one & I really like it, but from what you've written I really don't think it would solve your problem. Sliders make the surface smoother to move the quilt on (and yes, there are cheaper alternatives), but they won't change the amount of pressure from the foot or the quilt getting "smashed" through the needle plate.

Instead of a slider, here's what I'd try first (if you haven't already):

- Stitch length is "0"
- Single hole needle plate is installed (this will keep fabric from getting smashed down through the hole -- it is absolutely essential; you can buy it 3rd party for most machines)
- Top tension generally is pretty loose (usually somewhere between 1-3, depending on machine)
- Reverse pattern foot is installed (that's your basic presser foot to sew everything)
- If you're using a high loft poly or Warm & Plush cotton batting, maybe try a low-medium loft batting instead and see how that goes (Warm & Natural, Poly-Fil, Hobb's wool, any Quilter's Dream batts)
- There are a few methods for moving the quilt to FMQ. You could try just barely touching it with your fingertips to move it around, in which case I'd recommend Machinger's gloves or something similar with grippy tips; you can move hands a bit away from the needle & grab a fistful of fabric like it's a steering wheel to pull it different directions (typically, fabric is grabbed from underside); you could try one of those hoops or Bat Scooters where your hands are raised. Your forearms should be brushing the tabletop, parallel to the floor. Sometimes slowing down the machine speed helps to get into a smooth, relaxing rhythm.

If you were saying that your stitches weren't even, I'd suggest a Slider. If you were saying that your muscles are sore from moving the quilt, I'd have ergonomic suggestions for you (sink machine in table, body mechanics, suspension system). But as I understand it, it sounds more like an issue with your machine (either different set-up is needed, or perhaps it needs maintenance/adjusting). I work with high loft batting (Warm & Plush) plus I have layers of needle turn applique that I quilt through. I do need to lower the pressure on my presser foot because of the high loft batting & extra layer(s) of fabric, but the only difference between FMQ with Slider & FMQ without Slider is that my stitches are more uniform in size with the Slider because the friction is reduced. I can definitely move my quilt around without issue whether I'm using a Slider or not.

If none of these suggestions work, you could try a Teflon baking sheet & cut your own hole in it -- but again, it really doesn't sound like it'd solve your problem. If you do use the Slider, it will cover your feed dogs, so you would want to put them down.
Thank you so much. I am going to copy this and print it out for reference. Lots of good information. I think you are right about it still smashing the quilt tightly.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 AM

I have the Queen Supreme Slider and wouldn't be without it. I've had the Sew Slip also, but like the S Slider. Even though I rinse the lint off the back of my S Slider, I find it doesn't seem to stick as well as when it was new. I tape edges and corners down with masking tape to ensure it stays in place and I don't sew the thing to the back of a quilt ... lol
Old 07-11-2016, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

This was just posted on the 6th of this month:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...r-t280228.html
I have quilted on my Bernina since the late 90s and didn't need anything but good support for the quilt.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Leaving the presser foot in the up position means the upper tension discs are not engaged so there is no tension on the upper thread. I am surprised you can sew that way without getting thread jams. Sounds to me like there is some problem with your machine.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 AM

Forgive me if I'm being silly but sometimes the silly is the correct answer. Are you using a darning or free motion foot on your machine? If you use the normal presser foot the quilt will be difficult to move. Unless you want to do straight lines and then a walking foot is a good idea.