Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your best quilt project made by repurposing or recycling item >

What is your best quilt project made by repurposing or recycling item

What is your best quilt project made by repurposing or recycling item

Old 07-16-2016, 04:55 AM

Default What is your best quilt project made by repurposing or recycling item

I often read posts about using used items for making a part or all of a quilt. It would be interesting to hear about or see some of these projects. I often "repurpose" items in my quilting. My favorite and most frugal is I bought a very gently used pair of lined nursery print panels. I took the white lining off and made 2 baby quilt tops from the print panels. I pieced batting together and again used gently used toddler sheets for the backing. I FMQ the layers together. I cut up the white lining into 10 1/2 inch squares and am now using them for the backing of string blocks using up my basketful of strip pieces. During the process I am using up odds and ends of spool and bobbin thread. This has been fun - after all, that is how quilting began - using what you already have. The two baby quilts I made were donated to our local Santa's Helper" program at Christmas time. It was a very satisfying project.

if you have any stories of how you "repurpose" to make quilts, please share them as I think it makes for interesting reading. Thanks
Old 07-16-2016, 05:20 AM

Will be watching this post.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:35 AM

I enjoy making quilts from old shirts that I pick up at thrift stores--mostly men's since they contain more usable fabric than a woman's shirt which often has darts. The resulting quilt is cozy and comfortable--perfect for an adolescent/teen boy with Project Linus. No need to worry about shrinkage/bleeding, etc. I started quilting back in the 80s when I didn't have two nickels to rub together and those frugal habits have stuck with me. Not so bad--I just hate to see anything go to waste!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:45 AM

I am collecting used linen clothing for a future quilt and silk ties for small purses.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sprice View Post
I enjoy making quilts from old shirts that I pick up at thrift stores--mostly men's since they contain more usable fabric than a woman's shirt which often has darts. The resulting quilt is cozy and comfortable--perfect for an adolescent/teen boy with Project Linus. No need to worry about shrinkage/bleeding, etc. I started quilting back in the 80s when I didn't have two nickels to rub together and those frugal habits have stuck with me. Not so bad--I just hate to see anything go to waste!
Need 4 more plaid shirts then I can begin my plaid block quilt. Oldest GS will get it and he is a penny pincher so I think he'll enjoy it. I get them at garage sales. Only buy quality brands and a dollar is my limit. Also collecting light weight denim clothes to pair with cotton for a quilt. I priced denim on the bolt and almost fainted! Yesterday I bought a 2X brand new denim dress for a dollar. Lots of fabric in the long skirt.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I'm not a big re purpose person on purpose. I piece with the odds and ends of bobbin thread as good thread is a lot more costly then fabric. I save my scraps but rarely do anything with them myself. Remember the feeling at the start of a school year, brand new notebook full of fresh paper, new sharp pencils, fresh eraser...that's the feeling I like to start each of my quilting projects.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I really don't feel that I repurpose anything with regards to quilting. I do use most of my batting scraps and my skinny fabric trimmings are used to make doggie beds (I use mostly poly batting or stuff to keep them light enough to be washed)
Old 07-16-2016, 09:01 AM

I've done a series of quilts made from repurposing things. I have a reason for doing it, and that is to prove that you CAN make nice things in spite of not having a LQS or even a Walmart around you. Everything except the batting in these quilts is made from upcycling. They are duvet covers, pjs, men's shirts, ladies' shirts, curtains, sheets, pillowcases, dresses, etc.

I'm not showing the backs, but they are all upcycled fabrics as well.

Stars 'n Tulips - challenge from a Facebook (FB) group I'm in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554046[/ATTACH]

this one is just a top so far
9 patch challenge - challenge from a FB group I'm in
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554047[/ATTACH]
and then some others from earlier this year and last fall:

Rectangle Whimsy - challenge quilt from Pat Sloan's FB group
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554048[/ATTACH]

Gumdrop Geometry - challenge from Pat Sloan's FB group
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554049[/ATTACH]

Pixie Stix 'n skittles - my own design

(I used leftovers from Gumdrop Geometry)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554050[/ATTACH]

Quad Play -
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554051[/ATTACH]

Bravo Czewono - pattern Bravo Indigo - challenge on a FB group I'm in
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554052[/ATTACH]

and then I made 3 last fall from the same set of fabrics:

My layout. The first one - was a block taken from Pat Sloan's mystery quilt.
Autumn Splendor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554053[/ATTACH]

Autumn Glory:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554054[/ATTACH]

and
Autumn Wishes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554055[/ATTACH]

The challenge for me, is, that I live in a country where we have no quilt shops and hardly any cotton fabric at the local stores. That leaves me the choice of buying on line or bringing it from the states when I visit, or "making do" with repurposing fabrics. I chose to make some this way as a challenge to myself but also to show that it can be done.
Attached Thumbnails very-sm.jpg   img_3240-very-small.jpg   img_2647-cropped-sm-name-very-small.jpg   img_1693-sm-name-very-sm.jpg   img_1581-sm-name-very-sm.jpg  

img_2670-name-very-sm.jpg   img_2057-sm-name-very-sm.jpg   img_2573name-very-sm.jpg   autumn-glory-name-very-sm.jpg   img_1398-very-sm-name-only.jpg  

Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Wonderful quilts from recycled things! Good examples...
Old 07-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Those are large quilts, not weekend projects. Shows real commitment. Congrats