Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting should I use for my Marimekko quilt? >

What batting should I use for my Marimekko quilt?

What batting should I use for my Marimekko quilt?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Default What batting should I use for my Marimekko quilt?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554056[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554057[/ATTACH]

All I lack is adding my strips as the border and I am ready to sandwich my quilt! It is not perfect in any shape or form. I've learned more about what not to do than what to do. Thank the Good Lord my daughter loves the imperfect me and will treasure this imperfect quilt.

The quilt top is a bit heavier than normal because the Marimekko fabrics I chose were of a heavier weight. I hope once I wash the quilt it will be a little softer. Right now there is a lot of starch.

My daughter would have preferred Minky on the back, but I didn't want to piece the backing, so I purchased some wide flannel from www.sewbatik.com. It is lovely and will be soft.

What batting should I use? The quilt turned out to be 98x98, so it will be heavy simply because of the size and the flannel, so I want the lightest weight possible. And because we are in Texas, it needs to be as cool as possible.

Suggestions, please? Quilter's Dream wool is what I lean to based on what I have read so far.

Thanks in advance?

Janan
SaveSave
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpeg   strips-names.jpg  
Old 07-16-2016, 10:26 AM

try quilters dream cotton. their blue lable is called request and it is the thinist

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...m09BoCtqTw_wcB
Old 07-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

You put a lot of sweat and tears in this quilt so I would stick with a premium batting such as Quilter's Dream cotton. They have great customer service so you just might want send an email with what you need along with a photo of the quilt and see what they say.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

My suggestion would be Hobbs wool. It has enough loft that the quilting stitches will show, but is light in weight. I would choose Hobbs over Quilter's Dream mainly because someone on the QB had problems with bearding using the QD wool. If I can find that thread, I will post it here.

Cotton is relatively heavy. If you go with a really thin cotton it will be light in weight, but you will get very little loft (and a relatively flat result after quilting). Cotton batting does become very soft with repeated washings, and that softness is wonderful. If the flat look is okay for you (and it is consistent with the modern look of your quilt top), the QD cotton. Request is their thinnest, lightest weight. Here is a link:
http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-cotton.htm

You can get loft and lightness of weight in a polyester batting also. However, polyester doesn't "breathe" which means it can trap heat and moisture. Wool and cotton both breathe, making them suitable for both warm and cold climates.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I too would go with wool. Wool batting scare lightweight, breath, a dream to work with ( Hobbs and dream wool are both wonderful) cotton tends to be heavy even when thin. My ( summer) quilt has dream wool batting and a flannel back- it is not too heavy or too warm.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:24 PM

I think your plan to use Quilter's Dream wool is a good one, for all the reasons that ckcowl gave.

I love the quilt, by the way. It's so happy! That pattern is perfect - the white offsets all those bright, colorful prints.

Last edited by SherylM; 07-16-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Found the link to the thread about QD wool bearding:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t222212.html
Old 07-16-2016, 12:42 PM

I can't offer an opinion on the weights of various battings, but I can offer some thoughts on the eventual appearance of the quilt after it is washed ...decide if you like, or do NOT like, the "crinkly" look. I do not like it, although lots of people do.

I bought small packages of about 8 different bats, and did sample sandwiches of roughly a fat quarter each. This also gave me a whole lot of chances to practice my free motion technique, and also binding methods. I am still working on these sandwiches, but I have learned that cotton batting (both 100% cotton and cotton/poly blends) crinkle way too much for my taste.

I am currently working on sandwiches by Quilter's Dream...one is the recycled plastic bottle version ("Green" I think it is called) and another is with their puffiest polyester, ("Puff"). Both are supposed to shrink and crinkle very, very, little if at all. We shall see!

These sandwiches are also giving me the chance to experiment with all the fancy stitches on my machine and also different threads, including 12 weight thread, which I really like. The whole experimentation process has been very informative, educational, and freeing. I have "allowed" myself to risk making mistakes, which I would never have done on a real quilt top. I have learned enough to realize that I am now aware of some things that would have probably caused big headaches down the road.

The tricky part is keeping track of which batting I have used in each. I started out with written notes, but quickly switched to using the built in alphabet on my machine to actually write the name of the batting into each sandwich. Eventually I suspect they will all end up as cat beds.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm just anxious to see it finished and what your decision was. Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2016, 03:37 PM

I vote wool, too--it breaths well so always the right temp despite weather, it is a dream to work with, it has nice loft but without weight, and don't worry about the bat showing through the white--I used Hobbs wool on a modern quilt like this with 1/2 of it being a white negative space area--was a little worried that the natural color of the wool would show through--no problem at all with that.
Lovely quilt!