Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saddle Stool Opinions please! >

Saddle Stool Opinions please!

Saddle Stool Opinions please!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 AM

Default Saddle Stool Opinions please!

I do longarm quilting for myself and family members, mostly edge to edge designs. I am considering getting an adjustable saddle stool or an adjustable round stool to sit on when monitoring my machine (who prefers to be watched while she is working). Does anyone have or use one? What should I consider when looking for one to purchase. I had an adjustable architect chair, but ending up giving it to my husband to use in the basement. The lowest height was not very comfortable to use like I thought it would be. I thought the stool might be a better fit for me and easier to slide along as the machine is quilting the length of the frame. Also a stool would slide totally under the frame when not being used.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:47 AM

One came with my A-1 longarm machine and I gave it away. It always wanted to roll away from the table and I was afraid I would sit down on air and hurt myself. I bought the best drafting chair I could afford, I like having a back to lean against.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM

I have one and I love it. I use it mostly when I do custom quilting on my mid arm machine. It is completely adjustable (height, angle, etc.). I have a rug in front of my machine, which makes it more secure. I think it if were rolling directly on the floor though, I wouldn't feel as secure (It would probably roll out from under me!). And yes, it stores nicely under the frame.

Here is a link to the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 PM

I use a drafting stool because when I tried out a saddle stool I had trouble getting onto it.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
I bought the best drafting chair I could afford, I like having a back to lean against.
I am looking for an adjustable drafting chair, do you recall where you purchased yours? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:17 PM

I have an adjustable drafting chair with a back but no arms. I love it and use it on a tile floor while I quilt on my longarm. Yes, it can glide a little on the floor while you quilt but once you get used to it, you learn how not to let that happen...not difficult, just a learning curve. I do not want to stand for long periods of time so this works well for me. There is a foot rest that can be adjusted as well. I think I paid $100 - $150 for it.