Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell Me about your Quilting Interest >

Tell Me about your Quilting Interest

Tell Me about your Quilting Interest

Old 07-28-2016, 06:23 AM

Default Tell Me about your Quilting Interest

Hello,

Since I am new here .... well actually I joined a couple of yrs. ago, but I haven't been around much.
Now that I am sewing more regularly, I want to be around ..... daily!
And I'd love to know about your quilting/sewing interests.

I learned to sew in Home Ec when I was 13. 7th gr., I guess.
My mom bought me a sewing machine for Christmas that year.
A Singer Genie. I still have it, although I don't use it.
I'm the only person in my family, or extended family, who sews.

7 yrs. ago when I was dx with cancer (I'm doing pretty good btw) & stopped working, I bought a Viking D1 machine.
I LOVE it.
I haven't done much embroidery; therefore, I hardly remember how. Grrrr.
But I've made a dorm quilt for my daughter (her dorm mates raved .... that feels good ),
another quilt (not quite complete) for my son,
baby quilts for my nieces, and other, smaller things in between.

I joined our local quilt guild for inspiration.

Occasionally I take classes @ the LQS. We have several in town.
I have one small sampler quilt in process now @ the shop ... need to get back to finish it.
She's helping me to "unlearn" some of my bad habits from being a self-taught quilter.
Just bought a used Viking Prelude 360 from eBay so that I have more options for classes @ the LQS' & retreats. I have a hard time lugging my D1 around.

Anyway .... so all this sewing, which really hasn't been a ton, is showing me that I prefer smaller projects.
I enjoy making curtains (not large) for bedrooms & bathrooms.
I want to get more accomplished with this embroidery technique.
I like making smaller quilts, bed runners, baby quilts, etc.
And table runners ...... that's my favorite!!
I have one in process right now ..... soon as I figure out how to post a photo, I will.
I'm using the Pineapple Paper Piecing technique for this.
It is such fun!
My daughter is marrying in October ... I'm giving her 2 table runners for her kitchen since she doesn't have anything like that. But I have to learn this embroidery so that I can nicely label the back of the runner! I want it to say something like .... made with love by mom, for your bridal shower ... something like that.

I've been to two quilting retreats. I am free as a bird to travel.
Would LOVE to take a trip to a quilting retreat. Have any of you done that?
Because of my cancer ... I cruise at least once a year. Always to the caribbean.
I like sunshine! We couldn't do nice vacations when the kids were younger ... & are playing "catch up" now. I'm intrigued with these quilting retreats but they are EXPENSIVE. We cruise for quite a lot less. I understand an uncharge for the sewing, etc ..... but seems the cost is still very expensive.
Would love to hear from those of you who have cruised & sewed @ sea ... if any are here.

My husband is traveling to the Long Beach, CA area 3 times this fall & I can come too, if I'd like.
Anyone here from that area?
If I come with him, I'll be bringing my Viking Prelude!
Looks like there is a really cool quilt shop in Long Beach.

Guess that's it.
Tell me about yourself & your quilting/sewing interest!
I really want to know more.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Hi Jackie. There isn't much in LB that I know of. I looked at the So CA Shop Hop and there isn't any quilt shops that came up with my search. My Grandparents lived right along the shore just south of the convention center. Places to go is to the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary, otherwise there isn't much to do in LB. Sorry.

I do hope you find the inspiration that I do when I visit this site. And by the way, I got a D in Home Economics!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM

When you get to the Knott's Berry Farm area, go to M&L's at Ball and Knott. Allow for hours of looking, take lots of $$, and an extra suitcase! The owner's Sister (?) has a shop called Jenny's in Fountain Valley, with much of the same stuff, but a little smaller.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM

Hi Jackie, since you are in northern Indiana you might look into a retreat by Quilt-n-Go in Shipshewana. The next one is in November, the price is reasonable. One of my club instructors has been on 2 of the cruises and really enjoyed them but like everything, it depends on the person what you are expecting out of it. You might google for reviews before putting down money for one.

Here's the link for Quilt-n-Go: http://www.quiltngo.com/retreats.aspx
Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Hi Jackie!
Since I'm in South Carolina, I can't help with the Long Beach CA question.
However, I DO have a Viking D1 and can tell you that I LOVE IT!! If you don't already have it, be sure to get the 1/4" ruler foot - it's a life saver, for sure!!

I originally did not think I would use the embroidery part of my machine at all, but I've made two "5 Little Monkeys" quilts (pattern here: http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/item...6180&pid=94446 ), as well as doing a Pittsburgh Steelers quilt for my brother (embroidered Steelers' logo in the open areas of a Triple Irish Chain quilt), and I'm currently working on a baby quilt with different animals that has 3-D embroidery on it.

If you don't have the user manual, here's a link to a downloadable PDF file for the USB D1: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/636...sb.html#manual

(mine is actually a floppy diskette version!!)

I think that as you get more and more into the quilting, you will see that there are lots of possibilities for adding embroidery, and not just for quilt labels. Anita Goodesign is an embroidery company that sells a LOT of quilting-related embroidery patterns.

So, welcome to the Quilting Board (you'll get TONS of inspiration and encouragement here!), enjoy your quilty journey, and congratulations on being a cancer survivor!

Leta in Upstate SC (where I'm meeeellllttting!!!!)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:04 PM

*** Hi! Y 'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Thank you so much for the tips on the D1. I don't think that I have the 1/4" foot, actually!

My daughter LOVED that 'no more monkey's jumping on the bed' story!!!!

I attended an Anita Gooddesign event with a friend a couple of yrs. ago, but she works & we just could never get together .... & I wasn't motivated enough to do it on my own. I did, however, buy the nursery rhymes pattern. So adorable!

I would like to make that monkey quilt for my daughter!
She's getting married this fall,
and may well be my first to give us grandchildren some day.

So cute!!

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it.