Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair or replace sewing machine >

Repair or replace sewing machine

Repair or replace sewing machine

Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 AM

Post Repair or replace sewing machine

My favorite sewing machine is a Bernina 1630. After spending $350 in less than a year on repairs with repairman saying he wasn't sure it would be okay, I decided to buy a new machine. I bought a Pfaff Expression. It is fine for quilting, but overall my Bernina was much better.
Should I try again for repairs on the Bernina, or should I look for a used Bernina 1630?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:54 AM

I really don't know what to say regarding the 1630, but I can tell you that there is not a newer machine made that you will like as much as the 1630. Being an older machine, it has a more powerful motor than new. Also, it is not computerized, so you have more control of the machine. The closest "new" machine that I have found to be more like "older" machines is the Janome 6600. It is still computerized but not as much as others.

Good luck on your dilema, but in my opinion, older is better.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
I really don't know what to say regarding the 1630, but I can tell you that there is not a newer machine made that you will like as much as the 1630. Being an older machine, it has a more powerful motor than new. Also, it is not computerized, so you have more control of the machine. The closest "new" machine that I have found to be more like "older" machines is the Janome 6600. It is still computerized but not as much as others.

Good luck on your dilema, but in my opinion, older is better.
i have to agree! My bernina stopped working, I had a new motor put in and used it a few more years. I loved that machine! But when it died again (not the motor this time) I bought a janome 6600 because the machine is solid and dealer is local. It's a great machine!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:34 AM

Could you explain how the Bernina is better than the Pfaff? I will probably have to buy a new machine eventually, and don't have a clue about the many machines out there. I'm currently using a 30 year old Singer with no bells and whistles.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina 1530. The only thing that has been replaced is the bobbin case because I foolishly used can air to clean out those pesky little dust bunnies! She is still running fine, needs to go in for her cleaning and I hope she outlast me. What seems to be your problem?? My friend, who has a 1230, had to have her board replaced.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:50 AM

I've had a 1630 and an artista 180. I loved both of them. I would definitely repair my 180 if it broke, but then I've become a Bernina gal and at the price of new machines, I figure I can put quite a bit of money in this one to keep it working before I'm past the price of a new one. Just curious, did you take it to a Bernina tech or just a generic sewing machine repair man?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Look around to get a second opinion from a authorized Bernina service tech is what I would do. I may have the name of someone in Wilmington NC who I swear by. PM if interested.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Taking it to an authorized Bernina tech is a good idea. If the news is bad, I would probably look for a Bernina 1630 on eBay and keep the old one for parts (or sell it on eBay for parts). Here is a link to the search I did on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+1630&_sacat=0
Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Could you explain how the Bernina is better than the Pfaff? I will probably have to buy a new machine eventually, and don't have a clue about the many machines out there. I'm currently using a 30 year old Singer with no bells and whistles.
I find the Pfaff hard to use and very noisy. After instruction at the shop, I still can't figure out many of the embroidery features, lettering, etc. Its plusses are tge attachged walking foot and the wide space for quilting.
A friend (a former Home Ec. teacher) told me that she always found the Pfaff hard to use.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 AM

I did take it to a Bernina tech each time. Thanks for the eBay link. I am strongly considering buying a Bernina there.