Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it >

Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

Old 08-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

I know a lot of you make quilts for various charities, but other than that, do you volunteer anywhere?

I volunteer two days a week at a very busy food shelf. We sometimes serve 80 families a day!! I just love it - it is the greatest "job" ever - I get to give people so much and it doesn't cost me anything, lol!! Families or individuals can come in once a month and get (approx.) a week's worth of food.

I meet so many wonderful people - I don't think I have ever helped anyone who didn't thank me at the end, and quite often I get a hug as well! I hear such sad stories and yet I also see so much love - an elderly woman taking care of her husband who is in a wheelchair, siblings who are helping their less fortunate brother or sister, an older person who has worked their whole life, but in retirement, the spouse's medical bills are eating up all the extra funds.

Sometimes I feel like I am in the middle of a revolving door with food coming in on one side (1500 pounds of produce a day is normal, along with breads, dessert, meats, etc. ) and going out on the other!! It all has to be sorted, processed, packaged, and stored.

We have a great group of volunteers and thank goodness there are also social workers at this organization to help people with other problems.

I started after my husband passed and it has really filled a need for me to send my love out into the world.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:50 AM

I volunteer at our community theater. Acting, sewing costumes, building sets and stage managing. I love all aspects of the theater life.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM

I volunteer for the German Shepherd Rescue Scotland, had our annual fun day yesterday, I do home checks for would be adopters and assess dogs coming into rescue.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I use to work for an organization that would rescue Westies. I rescue 3 but when I became disable and couldn't drive anymore, I had to drop out. That is why I enjoy making charity quilts since it is something I can do at home.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

i drive low income seniors to medical appointments in neighboring counties, register attendees to various senior center events, knit and crochet blocks to make afghans for the cancer center, do shopping for shut ins.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:42 PM

I volunteer at the elementary school where my daughter works. I photo copy, grade papers and anything else they ask me to do.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 PM

I am on the Board of Directors for LIFE Senior Services in Tulsa. The have a lot of support programs for senior citizens. 2 programs I volunteer in are the Medicare Part D program which helps seniors pick the best Part D prescription Drug plan and the other is helping prepare income tax returns for seniors in the spring.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:19 PM

I don't really volunteer but I do bake for my daughter and her family. As a treat I also will go over and clean her house every once in a while. She has 4 kids, 3 of them are in sports, she works full time and her husband teaches, coaches and also teaches night classes at a college. They are so busy! When I was a working Mom I always wished I could come home to a clean house!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I don't volunteer but took another box of socks to a shelter after darning them. There were 50 pair. One neighbor was getting ready to throw a bunch of her husband's away. They were very welcomed.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:42 PM

I volunteer for The Arc, where I retired from. I help with events. I also make baby quilts and jelly for their annual fundraising luncheon.