Singer Magic Bobbin

Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 AM

Default Singer Magic Bobbin

Does anyone have more info on this machine? I was given one in great shape, and I cleaned and oiled it. I can't seem to get the top tension set. If the tension is fine in the stitches, the top thread breaks at the end of stitching when I pull the fabric away from the machine to clip threads. Should I look at the bobbin tension? Is it better to find another home for this machine, or was it one that was well made? Thanks for your help. I'm not finding much with my search engine. No model number on the outside of the machine.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:05 AM

Can you post a pic of the machine and the stitches?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:35 AM

From what you describe the problem is with the release mechanism for the top tensioner. It's either behind the face plate or if you have the version with the tensioner closer to the top lid, it's under there. I would open the top lid and the face plate, lift the presser foot lever up and down and inspect all the parts involved from behind the lever to the top tensioner. There is a pin in the split screw (holding the enitre assebly of spring, dial and plates) that doesn't get pushed out properly. When presser bar lever is up the plates should be loose, when down they stay firmly together.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-10-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 AM

I should add; double (even tripple) check correct threading, thread around the spool pin. If you thread it up with polyester top stitch thread it will stand up to much mroe resistance before it snaps and give you more room to investigate where the problem lies. If the machine is in nice condition it's well worth giving it a chance. I have always been a bit curious on the touch & sew and magic bobbin models. I think the magic bobbin series take double cams, which means fancy patterns and stretchy stitches.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-10-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:31 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! When I get time, I'll go through your checklist. I guess it won't hurt to hold onto the machine a while longer.