Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your favorite yoga video? >

What is your favorite yoga video?

What is your favorite yoga video?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:23 AM

Default What is your favorite yoga video?

I'm looking for a gentle yoga video to have at home. I'm interested mostly in stretches. I can do downward dog, warrior, etc. but don't want a ton of those types of things. I mostly want to stretch my tight muscles. TIA!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Our library has DVDs and I checked out "Big Yoga" by Meera Patricia Kerr. I also have "Simply Yoga Exercise System" with Yolanda Pettinato which I got at Barnes and Noble. The Simply Yoga comes with a DVD, Flash Cards and a booklet. Big Yoga is an adaptation of poses for those of us who aren't thin and limber
Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 AM

We like one with Rodney Yee - can't remember the exact title but it's yoga for relaxation and revitalization. Even though he uses a chair, you know you have stretched after using.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 AM

Isn't yoga a form of religious expression or something?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Isn't yoga a form of religious expression or something?
That's a good question. I hope my answer will help:
Yoga is a practical aid, not a religion. Yoga is an ancient art based on a harmonizing system of development for the body, mind, and spirit. The continued practice of yoga will lead you to a sense of peace and well-being, and also a feeling of being at one with their environment. The practice of yoga makes the body strong and flexible, it also improves the functioning of the respiratory, circulatory, digestive, and hormonal systems. Yoga brings about emotional stability and clarity of mind. My doctor recommends yoga to all his patients over 50 to help keep the body flexible in hopes of maintaining good balance and keeping the aches and pains of growing older away.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
That's a good question. I hope my answer will help:
Yoga is a practical aid, not a religion. Yoga is an ancient art based on a harmonizing system of development for the body, mind, and spirit. The continued practice of yoga will lead you to a sense of peace and well-being, and also a feeling of being at one with their environment. The practice of yoga makes the body strong and flexible, it also improves the functioning of the respiratory, circulatory, digestive, and hormonal systems. Yoga brings about emotional stability and clarity of mind. My doctor recommends yoga to all his patients over 50 to help keep the body flexible in hopes of maintaining good balance and keeping the aches and pains of growing older away.
Yes, I agree the practical practice is extremely beneficial to the body/mind without being aggressively strenuous, but isn't there an underlying religious theory connected if one goes deep enough into its practice? I may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM

I would recommend you check out www.JessicaSmithTV.com or www.sparkpeople.com. Both sites have free exercise videos with a wide variety to suit time, level and type of exercise. I myself love, love, love Jessica Smith.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM

My favorite Yoga videos are on "Vimeo" and made by "Fat Yoga". Her videos are tailored to older or overweight practitioners. She is a very short stubby person so she understands body limitations in some positions and has adapted her poses just for body limitations.
Here is a link to her intro class.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...hrtab-901&fp=1

Last edited by madamekelly; 08-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Yoga is based on ORIGINALLY Hinduism. The yoga that the average North American does is a far cry from the spiritual awakening yoga that a Hindu will be doing.

In Hinduism, all things are God or are capable of being God. (Namaste meaning:I see the divinity in you.) Hindus believe that Yoga is a physical means of bringing spiritual energy through the chakras (energy centers of the body that control different areas), up to the Ajna (or Third Eye) where this energy can be used to help your consciousness leave the body and experience other realms, bringing the person closer to their Divinity. There's also a part to it called Kundalini, but that's a long story....

Anyhow, North American yoga is far removed from what the Hindus mean it for. Here, it is a physical stretching exercise and sometimes there will be a meditation component at the end.

It's not dangerous, spiritually. It's all about intention.

I hope I explained that well enough. If anyone has anything to add or to correct, please do so.

Watson
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM

madamekellly, You sparked a curiosity in me for Fat Girls Yoga. Youtube has MANY videos for seniors and/or overweight yoga. I searched for fat girl yoga. I have been wanting to do Yoga, but am a beginner and overweight with bad knees. There are so many possibilities out there. I have about 5 or 6 hours worth of videos to explore. THANKS to CindyA for asking the question and for the wonderful recommendation by madamekelly.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-10-2016 at 05:25 PM.