Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Before sewing your fabric, do you - >
  • Before sewing your fabric, do you -

• Before sewing your fabric, do you -

Old 08-17-2016, 10:30 AM

wash, dry, and fold lengthwise into 4th and then put on comic board holder. I don't cut until needed and then don't starch until working on seams within blocks/rows. I've heard of issues with starching bringing bugs. Not sure if it is true and it might depend on where you live and how you store the fabric.

The only time I have "cut" before washing is very large pieces where I know I need two lengths (backings for example) and I think it is easier to tear/cut prior to washing (usually each piece after is at least 2 yards)

eta: obviously missed the tongue-in-cheek grammar question. I do "pre-wash" which to me means wash (and dry) before piecing. But can't say I've ever used any of the other words

Last edited by luvspaper; 08-17-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM

None of the above.
    Old 08-17-2016, 12:36 PM

I prewash, predry, preiron. That's enough.
    Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM

I do all those things except pre-cut---do not know what this is.
    Old 08-17-2016, 01:47 PM

I do the same procedure as bearisgray!!!!!BINGO! I wash, dry, and fold my fabric when it comes in the door until ready to use. then iron/press and - once in a blue moon, I will use sizing/starch on it - iron again - and then cut the fabric. Works for me and I get all the stuff out of it that I wouldn't want for any baby or anyone else. I want to know what I am giving them.
    Old 08-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Before sewing your fabric, do you -

Pre-wash it? Yes- most often just a soak in cool or warm water with non-machine washing soap like woolite, rince it in clean water, then a quick dip in starchy water.

Pre-dry it? Yes- air dry (no machine) or iron dry if almost dry. I don't iron dry soppy wet fabric.

Pre-starch it? yes, (see above)

Pre-iron it? yes, see above

Pre- cut it? yes, but only after the main blocks are cut for the purpose the fabric was bought. After main use, it is considered scrap, and I cut according to my personal scrap procedures.
    Old 08-17-2016, 02:06 PM

I didn't want to be the grammar snob, but since bear posted the thread, I knew there was a "gotcha" in the question. Good one, bear. I wash, dry, starch, iron, and cut before I sew my fabric, yes. I don't "pre-" any of those. However, that doesn't mean I do those steps all at once. I wash, dry, fold, and put away all fabric until ready to sew. Then I'll cut a manageable portion that I need, starch and iron it. I have yet to sew without needing to cut it first.
    Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 PM

I don't wash or dry my fabric before working with it. I will press and starch before using the fabric, when necessary. I will precut for a class, if required, and/or if there are a lot of the same size pieces in the quilt (definitely love my Studio for that purpose).
    Old 08-17-2016, 03:03 PM

I wash and dry yardage and fat quarters to get the chemicals out and check for bleeding. If I'm ready to use it, I will iron it before cutting. If I bought it to enhance my stash, I just fold it up and put with my other treasures. I don't buy many jelly rolls or charm squares.
    Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 PM

I only wash before storing if I detect unpleasant odors (smoke, musty, etc) or if it is stained or otherwise dirty.

If I wash it I dry it. Occasionally I will send something though the dryer instead of ironing.

Don't use starch.

Will often iron before cutting to get out fold lines from storage.

Rarely pre cut although I've been known to create my own jelly rolls or additions to jelly rolls. Do not cut scraps into smaller pieces until I'm ready to use them.