Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My pet peeve at Quilt Shop >

My pet peeve at Quilt Shop

My pet peeve at Quilt Shop

Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 PM

Default My pet peeve at Quilt Shop

Have a quilt on display, they don't have the pattern and don't know the name of it.

Visited a new quilt shop and a quilt was on display. It was beautiful. Log cabin in cotton around the edge and the center was done with a black wool background and autumn leaves appliquéd on it. No pattern and didn't know name. I didn't have my phone along to take picture.

I have tried searching for this, but no luck, but I am not real good at searching. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

What a bummer. But having quilted for a quilt shop for 10 years, as soon as the quilt goes up, the pattern sells quickly. Eventually, the pattern is no longer available. Was it a tradition log cabin??
https://www.google.com/search?q=appl...wwC-AQ_AUICSgC
Might look at the photos but there were not that many. It may just be in a book.

Be sure to always ask to take a photo in a quilt shop. You might email the owner of the new shop and ask her who's quilt this belongs to. With a new shop, they may just have older quilts hung to make the quilt store attractive.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 08-25-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:46 PM

We used to have that problem where I work. It's embarrassing! Now I make a sign for every quilt that has the book name, pattern name, designer name and finished size.

I hope you're able to find the pattern.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Why hang it if not to sell a pattern, book, class, or the quilt itself? The first thing most quilters say when they see a quilt, is there a pattern for that?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Well ours sometimes hang quilts to showcase quilting for those that offer that services. It is nice to have a name for a pattern but many times at our local ones there is not a pattern it was made up by the quilter but they usually have a sign that states that no pattern exists for that quilt. Display for such and such.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:22 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I found a pattern called Autumn Splendor at Prairie Woolens that has a wreath of leaves set on point, surrounded by acorns, and a log cabin border. The pattern is currently out of stock, but look at the picture and see and you can ask when they expect it to be in stock.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Gay

Is this anything like the one you saw. Maybe not, but it's a beauty.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/455848793511500455/
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM

I quilt samplers for a shop and it's always a quilt that she has patterns for--but some do sell out very fast and then she has to take down the quilt, which really means making more than one change to not leaves spaces. hard to keep up with!
One thing that bugs me about some quilt shops (not my LQS)is restrictions on taking pictures, but I do understand, it's just that I'm wanting the picture to remind me of a quilt I liked and may want to get the pattern, not because I'm going to draft it myself.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 PM

There is a LQS that has so many of their own designs, if you buy the pattern they have no problem with you taking pictures. They had one on display that I fell in love with, she had not published the pattern yet, so allowed me to take a picture since I bought the fabric. It is a super easy pattern - I just started going to the shop so they are getting to know me which helps.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

I work M and T at our LQS and often when I return the next week things have changed...patterns, fabric, and kits sold out and new items came in...not all employees are at the shop every day...it is hard to keep up even though we try to stay abreast of sales...and yes it takes time to rearrange displays...I like quiltedsunshine's idea.