Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on Irons >

Advice on Irons

Advice on Irons

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 PM

Default Advice on Irons

Does anyone have an opinion on Rowenta irons sold at Jo Ann's? My sweet husband purchased an Oliso iron at the full price for me. After reading some reviews about Oliso malfunctions , I decided I didn't feel right with such an expensive iron that might go bad early on, so I had my husband return it. I feel I need to get an iron at Jo Ann's now because I was given a Jo Ann's gift card because we couldn't find the receipt. Does anyone have any advice. I would greatly appreciate it. I just missed Jo Ann's iron sale. I wonder when the next one will be. Thank you so much! AND I DID LET MY HUSBAND KNOW HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE HIS THOUGHTFULNESS!
Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

Rowenta used to be a great iron. I don't think that's still the case. I purchased one, it quit working within a few months, and I sent it to the one and only service repair center on the west coast. The service I got was horrible and the owner was extremely rude. I sent a letter to Rowenta detailing the bad experience and never heard a word from them. When I finally got the iron back, it failed again just after the warranty expired. I would never purchase another Rowenta, based mostly on the service experience. That said, I know that there are many quilters who love their Rowentas, especially the older ones. (I mean the older irons, not the older quilters.)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

I had a couple of Rowentas - several (well, quite a few) years ago - they both died for no apparent reason.

I have been perfectly happy with the Black and Decker irons I have.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 PM

I love my yellow Oliso iron. It is the one that pops up by itself when you are done. That said, it is far cheaper to buy it on Amazon than Jo Anns, and often free shipping.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:26 AM

I am on my second or third Rowenta in 25 years. I honestly have not had the issues many here have. When I was working in the corporate world, I ironed my clothes every morning with my Rowenta. After beginning to quilt, I still used my Rowenta. I either wore them out or dropped them one too many times. I'm a firm believer in that the type of water used is very important with Rowenta. Some are made to specifically use tap water and others specifically to use distilled water. Read the instructions and use what is recommended for that particular model. Also, check the wattage usage. Higher wattage - more heat/steam.

I forget what store I was in a number of years ago and there were probably 6-8 different Rowenta models on display at the time. Couldn't believe the variation in the wattage of the displayed models. Wasn't in the market for one at the time but curiosity got the better of me simply due to the number of different models displayed.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

Rowenta use to be made in Germany. The company was sold and now the irons are made in China. Some are great some are horrible. I don't think the quality control is very good at all. I quit buying expensive irons. I buy a high wattage iron at Walmart and forget it.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:58 AM

I have had 2 Rowentas and both caught on fire within 2 years of use...I am too scared to try another one!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 AM

I had the tiny little grey rowenta that I used as my dry iron. The other day it began to pop and crackle and smoke began pouring out of it. I quickly unplugged let it cool, cut the cord and disposed of it. No idea why but it really made me suspicious. I didn't use it that often so the iron time was small.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

I was going to get a Rowenta and after reading reviews decided not to. Went to a dollar discount store and paid $10.00 for a cheapy have had it for 3 years. It gets hot and works and is a Proctor Silex. I also have a Sunbeam with the auto shutoff (safety feature and hate that son ofa biscuit). I would be in the midst of using it and it would shut off. I use my PS more.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:49 AM

i also have heard of bad reviews of Rowenta. I've always been pleased w/ Sharp products and that is the current iron I have had for several years now. I do NOT want a teflon bottom on my irons. I want shiny surface. I also want as heavy of an iron that i can manage. It helps w/ pressing.

I starch alot when i'm making quilts, but a magic eraser cleans it up quite well.

After all that - I will say that I've been intrigued w/ Oliso, but I just haven't wanted to spend the money. I have a feeling though that some day I probably will.