Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can a sit-down quilter successfully take a long-arm class? >

Can a sit-down quilter successfully take a long-arm class?

Can a sit-down quilter successfully take a long-arm class?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 AM

Default Can a sit-down quilter successfully take a long-arm class?

I am thinking of attending the Des Moines AQS show. There are some classes I am interested in that will be taught on long-arm machines. I am a competent free motion quilter using my Handiquilter Sweet 16 sit-down machine. How hard would it be for me in the class? I want to concentrate on techniques, not struggle with the machine. I could probably email the instructor, but I don't know how long the answer would take. I would be very interested if anyone has direct experience using-arms in a class without long-arm experience.

Pam
Old 09-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I took some classes earlier this year at Road to California. There were people in the longarm classes who had no previous longarm experience, and they seemed to do well. I think with your sit-down experience you will have no problems.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Banned

I quilt with my domestic machines and have a long arm. The difference is apples to oranges. The only thing that's really the same is practice, practice, practice at which ever you're doing. Moving the quilt around under the machine is totally different than moving the machine around over the quilt. I think since you already do quilting, you probably won't have too much trouble on a long arm, in fact you may even find you enjoy it more. I bought my long arm because I have issues with my hands and pushing the quilt under the machine now makes my hands hurt too much. It's much easier for me with the long arm.
Just my 2cents.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 09-19-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Depends on the class - probably not one on ruler work...

I've taken several that dealt with design and how to flow from one element to another. I think that type would be fine. I've also taken several that were very specific - and many that dealt with the computerized design software, those probably would not be helpful.

I'd love to go the the DesMoines show - but it's the weekend before we head to GA for two weeks, so that would be a bit much.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:27 PM

My friend, who quilts on a DSM, took a long arm class with me a few yrs ago. She got alot out of the technique and the shapes as it was a free motion class. She was able to decide she DIDN"T want a long arm from her class, but I see those shapes turn up in her quilting! She got ALOT out of that class!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:17 AM

Like Cari, I do some FMQ on my domestic machine and also rent a LA for larger projects. It is completely different movement but I think you would enjoy the experience.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:41 AM

In my opinion and lots of others too, it is easier to teach someone with no or little experience something new than try to retrain someone who has been taught certain ways already. When you don't know anything you are more open to trying new things and normally will catch on because of wanting to learn. I've even taken classes were I didn't think I'd learn any more than I already know and did actually learn more and better ways than what I was doing. Just keep your mind open and go with it. We all learn by different methods and one teacher may be able to teach one person something where the person right by her side may learn little to nothing. I say go for it.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 AM

I have been wondering the same thing! I have a Viking Platinum (same as the Sweet Sixteen), and ended up not signing up for the classes because i didn't think it would be helpful. I thought they would focus on the setup of the longarm and other things that wouldn't benefit me. In Feb when AQS is back in my area, I will defiantly sign up for longarm classes if that's the only option. Ill be anxious to hear if you take them and your opinion. You can always learn SOMETHING from a class, but at $100 a pop, I would like to know it would really benefit me. I'm afraid I would Want to take the longarm home with me, too!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:26 AM

I was in a "hands on" long arm demo type class, and one of the students was a Sweet 16 user considering future work on a long arm. She learned quickly that she couldn't stand up to work and that she would be much more comfortable sticking to her sit-down machine. It was a good thing that she took the class before she invested in her own long arm.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

You will always come away from a class having learned something. At least you will also understand it better.