Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid Hexi question >

Stupid Hexi question

Stupid Hexi question

Old 09-28-2016, 08:47 PM

I have a question as well re hexies. Started piecing them together quite a while back. Yes, it was fun but after I had a large amount of flowers completed I heard I was supposed to use the same color for all the centers and I hadn't done that so I just put them aside. Is there any point in completing it.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:42 AM

CoventryUK, that's beautiful. Very time consuming. Maybe a great winter evening TV project?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
I have a question as well re hexies. Started piecing them together quite a while back. Yes, it was fun but after I had a large amount of flowers completed I heard I was supposed to use the same color for all the centers and I hadn't done that so I just put them aside. Is there any point in completing it.
As most are scrappy, it really does not matter, just design choice.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

There is no rule that says your centers have to be the same color! There are lots of ( scrappy) flower gardens. By all means finish it. It's yours to do as you like. I've made lots of Hexie projects that were very scrappy. I don't think I've ever done one with all the same centers. Been making them since ( before it was cool) the 70's.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:57 AM

I like to use tiny hexagons which I do not reuse. Instead of tacking corners, I baste the edges I fold over going through the paper. I make a big knot at the end high contrasting color quilting thread or double strand regular thread and baste around the edges leaving a tail hanging. I leave the papers in as long as possible to add some stability while I work. After they are sewn together in my pattern, the big knot helps with gripping the thread for pulling.
i also cut hexes with a die machine but I have not found a die for the smallest shapes.
I use recycled paper from junk mail, thick non-glossy pages in magazines and card stock scraps and I use a hole punch to punch a hole in the hexes. This makes removal of the hexes easy by using a chopstick (or any blunt object that fits in the hole) to lever it out.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:07 AM

Hello redstilettos, No question is a stupid question only if you don't ask is it stupid. May I suggest using the plastic templates? I use quiltpatis and got them from Pati Shambaugh who patented them. They are wonderful! Pati's phone number is 614-443-9988 and her website is www.quiltpati.tripod.com. I have bought quite a few packets of hexagon plastic templates and been hand piecing Grandmother's Flower Garden with 1930's reproduction fabrics for over 7 1/2 years - find it very therapeutic and relaxing. To order the quiltpatis, you need to call Pati, her website doesn't allow you to do it online. She is very helpful too. I don't get any perks for telling you all this, just trying to be helpful. Personally, I've never tried the paper piecing but I would think you would get better results with the quiltpatis which are plastic templates. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:07 AM

It is whatever you like, no quilt police as they say. I need to remind myself that in all quilt projects.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:47 AM

I'm reenergized!!! Already had 84 of the 1" hexies done (by choice, centers and then just one surrounding row) and had started adding white hexies around each when I had read the article saying centers had to be same color). I pulled them out again last night and I'm on my way again! Thank you!

Aside from quilts, what else have you all made with the hexies?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I made a potholder with one-inch hexogons for one side of it. That was about the extent of my hexing at that time!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM

By all means complete it!! There is no rule saying the centers all have to be the same color. It's your choice. I tend to use the same color, but then see photo's of others using "all" colors, and think, "why didn't I do that?" They are all lovely. Yours will be also.