Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Saving  cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - - >

Saving cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - -

Saving cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - -

Old 09-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Default Saving cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - -

Saving cardboard BOXES and plastic containers - - - - (Sure wish we could edit the title line)

It is useful to me to keep some of them - but why do I have such a hard time getting rid of them?

I feel so vindicated when I find the "perfect" one for one of other family members that have been complaining about my box stash. (Which -in my opinion - is not THAT big.)

I can get rid of banana peels without flinching.

Do any of you get rid of ALL cardboard and plastic containers that are not in use at the moment? Or are any of you box savers?

Reason for edit - noticed title line said bosses instead of boxes -

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-29-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I saved those bubble envelopes and tyvek ones. saved me money when I needed some to mail things. but after I moved, I found the huge bag of them and tossed them. finally! saving to many things is just crowded!!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:53 AM

I save the plastic containers that salad greens come in. I especially like the ones with the hinged lids. Great for taking small projects in the car and you never have to search for the right lid. I can fill them with various sized squares and stack them on a shelf. I also like the clear shoe boxes that Walmart sells. They stack well too.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:58 AM

Don't save boxes. I've seen way too many bugs come out of them. As soon as one comes in the front door, it's emptied and then goes out the back door to the recycle bin. Don't have room to save the other stuff.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559198[/ATTACH]I used to save boxes for Christmas until gift bags came along. I do save thin non corrugated cardboard for making quilt or piecing templates. I save the thin rigid flat pieces of clear plastic for making fussy cutting templates. Both of these store flat and don't take up much room. I just used some thin cardboard for a quilting template this week.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM

my husband used to call me the box lady of Buenie(nickname for the town I live in)
he made me get rid of all my boxes
Old 09-29-2016, 09:49 AM

I used to keep a lot of boxes when I was selling stuff on eBay. Now I only keep a few that I think I might use.

I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago. I tossed out a whole garbage bag of plastic stuff. Every once in a while I have to toss a bunch of plastic bags too or they take over the pantry.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I buy deli meat in 1# tubs with snap on lids. they're 7 1/2" by 5 1/2" by 1 1/2". Just a nice size for notions and templates. I only keep a very few around. They stack neatly and also are great storing and take up very little space. I got tired of DH having bags of screws, previously removed from shelving, etc. They're in Ziploc bags all over. I gathered them up and they fit perfectly in these plastic containers. Now all he needs to do is get the container. Oh Yes and he's learned to mark the outside of the Ziploc with the type screw and where they came from.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM

I've built up some fair sized earthen berms using flattened cardboard boxes topped with shredded paper, then leaves, dirt, grass clippings, etc. I got the idea from a book titled Lasagna Gardening. I also use some of the deli containers for storing some items. I too have a problem tossing something I think I may use someday, problem is the hoard builds up faster than the somedays come around. If I had a source for re-cycling the plastic margarine tubs, etc, I would be glad to pass them on, but we can only re-cycle certain plastics. We do save some of the tub type containers to drop off at the church where they are used for leftovers to take home after pot lucks. The plastic grocery bags get tied into a loose knot, saved in a larger bag, and dropped off at WalMart where they collect them for re-cycling.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I can't seem to let go of the moving boxes I used for my move last year. They're collapsed and stored in the garage. I don't know if I'll need them again, and they take up a lot of space that I could use for something else. I could always buy new boxes if I do need to move, so why do I keep them? Some are the original boxes for items that might be hard to box up (like for the big screen TV), but others are just generic U-Haul boxes. I do put my plastic containers out for recycling, so that's not my problem, just moving boxes. Help!